Mystik JT6 no2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a good grease for chassis points & stuff even though it is a high temp grease & those are not high-temp applications?

They have a high and low-temp jt-6, iirc. The low temp is far more tacky, and I'd strive to use it myself... But grease is better than none...

yeah the tacky stuff is a good marine grease, but their low temp is a calcium base & I want a lithium complex base so it is compatible with the other stuff I was using before...thoughts?

Is this the Mystik grease that looks like vasoline?

A calcium complex grease should shouldn't give you any problems in a chassis lube application, just try and push most of the old lube out when you make the switch.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Is this the Mystik grease that looks like vasoline?

A calcium complex grease should shouldn't give you any problems in a chassis lube application, just try and push most of the old lube out when you make the switch.

Okay...my research is complete...Here is what I can say about both MYSTIK JT-6 greases:

It is true that the standard "vasoline-looking" JT-6 Calcium grease is good against water; in fact it is less than 1% water wash-out!!! That is better than ANY MARINE grease I compared it to, even though it is not claimed to be a marine grease. But, I was looking for a "one-size-fits-all" grease, and based on that, I had 3 issues with this Mystik standard Calcium non-hi-temp grease.

1.) Based on a compatibility chart I saw, it is not compatible with one of the current greases I have in service.

2.) It is not as good for cold temps and in winter here it can get as low as 0* on rare occasion but mid-teens are normal and the grease would be like clay in those temps LOL

3.) It is not a hi-temp grease so when I needed to pack disc brake wheel bearings, it would not cut it.

As for the answer to my quest...I have selected the Hi-temp Red Mystik JT-6 no2 grease as my default grease for all applications. My reasons & findings are below:

1.) I looked up the specs on comparable greases as well as various Marine greases and in almost every case, This Mystik Hi-temp multi-purpose was superior. Again, there was at least 1-2 calcium or aluminum marine greases maybe with slightly better water wash-out resistance, but I HAD to use a Lithium-based grease for compatibility & wanted the better temp range also. Some of the brands of greases I looked at were Valvoline, Sta-lube/CRC, Mobil-1, Supertech, and Exxon...I did look at a few Castrol options, but did not take the time to compare them because Castrol Grease in the 14oz tube is hard to find here except the blue non-lithium kind. Also, I considered Lucas, but I wanted matching grease in tub & tube and Mytik was easier to find both ways so I did not consider any grease that I was not going to be able to go & buy.

2.) The main stuff I compared was operating temp ranges, Timken Load tests, drop point *F, vicosity & water-washout resistance. There might have been more, but those seem like the main ones. Suprisingly, this Mystik grease outperformed everyone; even against some greases that were more application-specific. For example, at one point, I was thinking I would use Supertech Marne grease for everything because it seemed to have a decent op-temp as compared to other Marine greases, but the Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp beats that ST Marine grease in water-washout!!! The ST is made by Exxon BTW, and I had to use Exxon branded grease specsfor the ST because Wal-mart did not have them posted & the MSDS was incorrectly linked to Min-wax stain LOL. But I figure the ST is close to or the same as the standard EM Marine grease specs & the Mystik shows to be better if their tests are true. Heck the Mystik was better than the Mobil-1 synthetic grease in many categories!

3.) I DID NOT compare to any moly greases because I wanted to make the switch from one of the current greases I have in service that is moly and I do not want moly for my one-size-fits-all grease.

I am sure there is more I am leaving out, but the point is, for those of you who also want something to use in boat-trailer bearings, chassis points, disk brake wheel bearings, and regular trailer bearings, the Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp grease appears to be the best choice among the greases I investigated. I went soley off the data sheets and some posts I read, but on paper it is the winner. Again, I would like to run the lower-temp vasoline-lookng Mystik for my chassis & marine apps, but I do not want to have 2 seperate grease guns nor do I want to have to clean out all the old non-compatible grease; I wanted a grease to use that would mix right away with no hassel. And the fact that it will still resist water washout to 2.5%, that beats most ofthe others I looked at(including Marine grease), so it should be good enough for marine apps & deep water crossings in the Jeep. Only Ford seems to require moly in their chassis so I am happy to be able to switch since I do not have any Fords

I hope this mess of a post helps anyone who also was looking for a one-size-fits-all grease...again, I kinda wish it was the ST (supertech) Marine grease, but data shows the Mystik to be better and it is only a few cents more per tube and can also be bought at wally world. As for the 1lb tubs, I got those from Tractor supply so I am set.

I am sure there are better greases out there for specific apps, but I did not have time to look at them all and I have always trusted the Mystik name, even though they are not made in my state anymore
21.gif
My main challenge was finding something that was compatible with ALL of my current various greases in service, and something that could be used for boat trailer bearings & resist wash-out, as well as hi-temp bearing apps & chassis.

Interesting numbers and probably as good or better than any standard lithium complex grease for multi function use.

But, I question the relevance of the water washout test (ASTM D 1264). It just doesn't make sense that a "regular" lithium complex grease would outshine a marine specific grease in this catagory.

Your JT6 has a lower number than the Schaeffer greases, and they stake their reputation on high water resistance properties.

At the Amsoil site, their regular greases have lower washout % numbers than their marine specific grease.

Again, something does not add up here.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Interesting numbers and probably as good or better than any standard lithium complex grease for multi function use.

But, I question the relevance of the water washout test (ASTM D 1264). It just doesn't make sense that a "regular" lithium complex grease would outshine a marine specific grease in this catagory.

Your JT6 has a lower number than the Schaeffer greases, and they stake their reputation on high water resistance properties.

At the Amsoil site, their regular greases have lower washout % numbers than their marine specific grease.

Again, something does not add up here.

I see what u r saying, but again, the non-hi-temp calcium Mystik has less than 1% washout and it is supposed to be one of THE BEST greases against water. SOOO it would make sense that their next grease up is not "as Good" but still "darn good".

So with that in mind, either:

1.) Mystik is lying
2.) The other "marine" greases are just not as good
3.) Or Mystik just found a way to make one of the best multi-purpose greases of all time?

The specs on it are VERY impressive when considering it for use in such a wide range of applications. That is why I chose it.

It should be noted that the Exxon MARINE grease (which I believe to be the same as Supertech) was still a Lithium complex and all things aside, most of the BEST materials for marine grease are calcium or aluminum base. So that would explain why the Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp was able to beat the particular Exxon Marine grease I compared it to.

Now it did also beat some other calcium greases though on water washout, so Citgo must not have changed the formulas much when they bought the Mystik name & formula secrets from a company located here in my state that made Mystik oils & greases. Apparently, it is still Citgo's premium line containing the highesf bases & additives.

Just makes me sick that that commie down in Venezuela owns Citgo...I feel ashamed for spending the 7 bux on the couple tubes of grease. Deep down I had hoped Supertech marine would cut the mustard but I could not find any concrete specs on it and I had to assume they were the same as the "tan" Exxon marine grease was.

Last edited:
That Lucas product is not lithium complex, so it would not have the higher temp. ratings.

I thought (mistaken) that the Red N Tacky was for things like fifth wheel lubrication. Not so much bearings and chassis.

I still hope someone chimes in on the relevance of the water washout numbers and test procedures.

I'll make a stab: I "guess" that the ASTM D 1264 measures physical washout of grease by direct water spray and does not account for absorption of moisture into the grease. Something Schaeffers uses in their marketing....i.e., try mixing grease and water in the palm of your hand. The lithium complex will turn milky vs. the aluminum complex.

I'm gonna also guess that in automotive applications, the significance between ASTM D 1264 1.6% washout (Amsoil) and 4%+ washout (Shaeffers?) does not matter. Furthermore, like oil, IMO, it is probably not possible for us to determine the holy grail of grease using specifications only.

DOITMYSELF

u make some very good and rational points. the only thing i would point out is although the Lucas Red & Tacky is not "lithium complex" it is still a lithium base grease; unlike the xtra heavy duty Lucas that is a urea polymer grease (or something like that). But the red & tacky says it can be used for wheel bearings I think. Te big thing for me is moly & base.

Moly grease tends to create more sludge & is not that good for wheel bearings. Base is also important for "thickness at temp". The litium complex seems to give a better over-all temp rating as compared to a hard-core aluminum or calcium grease (marine).

Also, I might add that the Luca red n' tacky has a higher drop point than the Mystik hi-temp...so I am sure the Lucas is a great grease, but not sure if it is as good an "all-purpose" grease like the Mystik apears to be by specs alone.

Again, u make some good points though

Ford has been specifying moly grease for the wheel bearings on their cars and trucks for many decades.

FYI, I use lithium complex grease for all my/workplace cars, trucks, ag., and grounds care equipment in spite of all I have learned at BITOG.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Ford has been specifying moly grease for the wheel bearings on their cars and trucks for many decades.

FYI, I use lithium complex grease for all my/workplace cars, trucks, ag., and grounds care equipment in spite of all I have learned at BITOG.
crackmeup2.gif

Well I knew Ford spec'd for moly on chassis & ball joints, but i did not know on wheel bearings...luckily i do not have a ford and so my spec says i can run no moly (even though I have always used moly up until now)

I had a 93 F-150 short wheelbase 4x4. Good pickup, but it went through universal joints quickly because of the high driveshaft angles (it was NOT a 'raised' pickup). I used the Ford-spec Moly because the factory said, "Use Moly," even in U-joints. The warranty took care of the first u-joint exchange. Then, in another 25,000 miles, those were toast. So, I changed them out using Spice joints. I noticed the roller bearings had literally disintegrated in the replacement Ford bearings, so I got on the computer and looked up the Spicer specs. for universal joint grease. The Mystik JT-6 hi-temp LC #2 met those specs & was a Spicer recommended grease. That's what I used...and those universals were still working well after over 50,000 miles of service when I sold the pickup at 100,000 miles.
I now use that grease in wheel bearings as well as universals and all usage in 5 vehicles has been totally trouble-free.
There's a very old post by George Morrison, a lubrication engineer, on BITOG that warns specifically against moly in universals.
I certainly do not have his credentials, but I am 64 years old and have serviced my own vehicles all my life---and previously serviced a small truck fleet for a firm I used to work for---and I will not use Moly grease on U-Joints or wheel bearings. I do find Moly to be excellent in chassis fittings, particularly greasable ball joints...but I'm getting lazy in my later years, so I simply now use the Mystic JT-6 Hi-temp #2 in all automotive and ligh-truck Zerks and wheel bearings. It's good stuff.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
I had a 93 F-150 short wheelbase 4x4. Good pickup, but it went through universal joints quickly because of the high driveshaft angles (it was NOT a 'raised' pickup). I used the Ford-spec Moly because the factory said, "Use Moly," even in U-joints. The warranty took care of the first u-joint exchange. Then, in another 25,000 miles, those were toast. So, I changed them out using Spice joints. I noticed the roller bearings had literally disintegrated in the replacement Ford bearings, so I got on the computer and looked up the Spicer specs. for universal joint grease. The Mystik JT-6 hi-temp LC #2 met those specs & was a Spicer recommended grease. That's what I used...and those universals were still working well after over 50,000 miles of service when I sold the pickup at 100,000 miles.
I now use that grease in wheel bearings as well as universals and all usage in 5 vehicles has been totally trouble-free.
There's a very old post by George Morrison, a lubrication engineer, on BITOG that warns specifically against moly in universals.
I certainly do not have his credentials, but I am 64 years old and have serviced my own vehicles all my life---and previously serviced a small truck fleet for a firm I used to work for---and I will not use Moly grease on U-Joints or wheel bearings. I do find Moly to be excellent in chassis fittings, particularly greasable ball joints...but I'm getting lazy in my later years, so I simply now use the Mystic JT-6 Hi-temp #2 in all automotive and ligh-truck Zerks and wheel bearings. It's good stuff.

Good info!!!

You know that was my only concern was the balljoints really. I would think they should need moly, but the Jeep spec says no moly required so hopefully the Mystik would do the job on them.

Thanks again for the info!

Well I found another "competitor" & not sure what to do now. This Pennzoil grease is a marnine grease which is kinda what I was after to begin with, except for 2 issues:

1.) I was worried about compatibility with current lithium grease in my chassis

2.) I was worried about temperature range; especially hi-temps for wheel bearing apps

Apparently, the numbers on this "marine" grease are good enough that it looks like it would hit the mark for what I was originally after, and even though it is calcium-base, the container claims "compatible with most greases".

What do you think? Should I abandon the Mystik in favor of this Pennzoil grease to seek what I am after?

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus Multi-Purpose Grease.pdf

I wish we had a tribologist level expert here to answer all our questions about grease.

Have you ever visited the Lubri Plate site to see the myriad of greases they have? They have a synthetic calcium complex grease with a dropping point of 700 degrees F that is also rated for bearing/chassis use. MAYBE AN INQUIRY TO THEM MIGHT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION: HOW WOULD A CALCIUM COMPLEX GREASE COMPARE WITH A LITHIUM COMPLEX GREASE FOR GENERAL AUTOMOTIVE USE.

http://www.lubriplate.com/pdf/pds/3_38 Synxtreme HD Series.pdf

http://www.lubriplate.com/products/greases.html

I'm a skeptic and wonder why these "super greases" are not recommended by auto manufacturers, ag equipment makers, etc..

It defies logic. Is it just economics (false economics?)?

Yeah guys...I am torn now...I bought 2 tubes of the Mystik & 2 tubes of the Pennzoil Marine. Again, for a 4x4, I had wanted a Marine grease to resist deep water crossings & such, but I wanted to be able to also use the grease for other stuff as I have mentioned besides chassis.

The Mystik has impressive numbers and up to now, it was an easy choice. THE ONLY REASON I am even considering the Pennzoil Marine now, is because of its claims "to be compatible with most other grease types." I mean basically, it is a marine grease that can also take the heat of disc brake wheel bearings; that is uncommon as compared to the other Marine greases I have looked at thus far.

In examining both greases, the Pennzoil appears to be the thicker of the two, but by the numbers, the Mystik has a "higher" viscosity number and also has a small wash-out advantage. I mean how is this POSSIBLE???? The Mystik seems to resist washout better than any marine grease I have looked at. MAybe something doesn't add up like you have already mentioned. Maybe I am just insane for worrying so much about it, but again I just wanted to have ONE grease for all. Maybe I will buy another grease gun and have one for the Pennzoil & one for the Mystik, but that was not my original plan. I want the best chassis grease that can also be used for my boat trailer & disc wheel bearings; BUT I want it to also be compatible with the grease I will have to mix it with the next time I grease my chassis. Up until now, I thought a calcium grease was out of the question, but the Pennzoil claims to be it would seem. The chart I am posting below shows "Borderline" or "Comapatible" respectively based on how I understand it.

I WANT ANSWERS LOL

And as for the Lubriplate, I did not even know they made grease. The only product of theirs I have ever used was their engine assembly lube for installing a cam shaft in a chevy 10 yrs ago. I am sure they make good greas, but again my "quest" has been to go and buy my top-choice grease right off a shelf here in my city.

http://www.mindconnection.com/library/handyman/greasecompat.htm

comments?

ALSO on a side note...I sort of went through this with dino gear oils and it also came down to Mystik vs. Pennzoil. I wound up with a case of Mystik gear oil, but have often wondered if the Pennzoil was better. I was obviously harder to compare gear oils and I am sure they are both excellent. But just when this grease thing was over, I went to a Wal-mart today that I had never been to and they had the Pennzoil and the "compatible with most greases" on the container hooked me & reeled me in. I bought 2 tubes and then went home and began looking into it.

Last edited:
I did my own mock non-scientific test and the Mystik seems to resist water well enough as compared to the calcium Pennzoil grease. I am gonna stick with the Lithium so I am sticking to Mystik.

Where are you buying the Mystik? any chain stores?

and is this their product for MArine use?
Mystik®JT-6® High-Performance Marine Grease No. 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back