Looking for a substitute for antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Bradenton, Florida, which is about the middle of the west coast of Florida. The temperature hardly ever reaches the freezing point. I've been buying antifreeze from Walmart. I swear that it's not the real McCoy. You look at the stuff, and it's clear like water, with a slight smell of familiar antifreeze. And it's expensive. And more so elsewhere. I remember, when I lived up North, and in reading the forum I'm supported, that antifreeze was green, or yellow. A little thicker than water. You could feel the slipperyness. I think that I'm getting cheated with this product. Is there another product, or compound, that I can buy and mix with water, that will give me the corrosion protection and lubricitity I want
to add life to the cooling components of my old car? I run a 1996 Mercury Cougar 3.8L V6. That car doesn't owe me a dime. I've had fantastic luck with it.Thank you for any suggestions.

Are you buying 50/50 pre-mix?
Also, every WM incarnation of anti-freeze, that I've seen, from ST to Peak and Prestone, is a Dexcool clone, with 2-EHA in it.

For 1996 you can go with regular green low-silicate antifreeze, and change it every 2 years (NAPA and Autozone should have it) or go with Zerex G-05 and change it every 5 years (NAPA carries it). Flush the system before change over.

Do not run plain water, it does not provide any corrosion or cavitation protection. Antifreeze does not just help in cold weather. It increases water's boil-over point as well.

No, I'm not buying a mix. I'm trying to cut my costs. Is there anything else out there besides typical antifreeze that will give me the same protection without the anti freezing components?

No. Water Wetter will you give boil-over protection, but no rust or cavitation protection, so you have to use anti-freeze/coolant.
To cut cost, switch to Zerex G-05. It cost the same as other coolants, but lasts 5 years/150K miles. Make sure to flush your cooling system completely with distilled water. G-05 uses Ford-approved chemistry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back