EPA to seek ban on lead tire weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been looming for a long, long time. It's been talked about in the tire trade for years, literally. If anyone in the business isn't prepared, they've been living in a cave.

Originally Posted By: article
One opponent of lead bans is the London-based International Lead Association, which says in an online fact sheet that “lead is a sustainable commodity when produced, used and recycled in a responsible manner".

Which is why they are being banned. This is not a sustainable commodity, as lead weights are thrown off wheels into our environment. If they weren't thrown, there'd be no problem, no ban.

Ah, give them a break... After all, some unsuspecting young mother might grab fallen weights by the side of the road, run them through the food processor and feed them to the kids.

How much lead is dumped into the enviroment by 3rd world countries? Oh! that happens far away so it doesn't matter. Kids go out on the roads and eat lead weights and eat them.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Originally Posted By: Jdblya
Then what, fishing weights?

That's what I was thinking.

Probably closer than you think. The lead shot in shotgun shells has been taken away in a lot of waterfowl areas.
Hey, a duck could eat a fishing weight just as easy.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Originally Posted By: Jdblya
Then what, fishing weights?

That's what I was thinking.

Smaller lead sinkers are already banned in NY,NH,VT,ME,Canada and the UK.

Originally Posted By: crw
Ah, give them a break... After all, some unsuspecting young mother might grab fallen weights by the side of the road, run them through the food processor and feed them to the kids.
lol.gif

I wonder if the science behind this is any better than the absurd 1978 legislation on lead in paint. That greatly increased costs, reduced the value of older homes, while adding nothing to the safety of children.

I'm just suprised that it took so long for them to finally think about lead wheel weights. I mean lead paint was banned in what, the 1970's?

Why is this a bad thing? Lead is known to cause developmental issues in children and can cause major problems in adults, too.

If it was an inert metal then lost wheel weights would not be an issue but it can and does get into the drinking supply and contaminate it.

Yeah but if we don't have "slow" people in society that are that way because of the effects of lead then who is going to breed the next generation of politicians and government officials?

Heaven forbid if they have actual "smart" people in power.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Why is this a bad thing? Lead is known to cause developmental issues in children and can cause major problems in adults, too.

If it was an inert metal then lost wheel weights would not be an issue but it can and does get into the drinking supply and contaminate it.

a lot of the junk yards around here are near water sources. figure loads of used tires with lead weights on them contaminating ground water that eventually ends up in rivers and canals. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back