freehub lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed recently that the freehub on mountain bike is very quiet and does not make that ticking sound when coasting. The freehub does not spin smoothly like something is gummed up inside. I removed the freehub, flushed it with some Seafoam and it now spins much more freely and has the ticking sound again just like new.

What kind of lube is used to for the freehub? Searching around and some people use Phil's Tenacious oil or Tri Flow. Phil's Tenacious oil is kind of thick and sticky, not sure if its the right stuff. Thanks.

I used synthetic engine oil on mine. Seems to work well.

I used Series 2000 grease for all the bearings on both my bikes. The wheels roll pretty well. I did not want to be a slave to bike specific lubes that cost $$$$ and I have to go buy somewhere.

If I use automotive lubes I always have something on hand. Seems like all the bikes products are over hyped.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Phil's a bit too viscous IMHO. Here's what I use:

Sick Bike Parts Freewheel oil

Hey Pablo, is that custom made for you? What are the specs.?

I blend it. Three different synthetic oils and a proprietary ingredient to make the pawls have just the right amount of lube. It's about a 75W-140 or so, but on the lighter flow side (nothing like an old conventional SAE 140).

I've always used motor oil, usually 5W-30. I haven't experienced a freehub failure yet, so it can't be too bad.

Thanks for the input. I used motor oil and it seems to work great.

I don't completely disassemble the freehub body since you need some special tool for that. I just remove the freehub it from the wheel, take the seal off and pour oil through the crack until it drips out the other end.

Phil's Tenacious oil is thick like gear oil, I never really found where on the bike where you would use that stuff.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
I don't completely disassemble the freehub body since you need some special tool for that. I just remove the freehub it from the wheel, take the seal off and pour oil through the crack until it drips out the other end.

Nor do I, anymore! I have disassembled them and used grease in the past, but with grease they start to work erratically once it gets below -32C (that was the consensus among three of us back in university) so I switched to oil. I flush it with oil until it comes out clean and then let it sit for a couple hours to allow the excess to completely drain before reassembling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back