Using ATF +3 or +4 in a Dexron III application

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

What do you guys think of ATF +3 (I have some leftover) or ATF +4 (reputed to be full synthetic) in a Saturn SL 1 manual transmission that calls for Dexron III? Is this a OK and is it a step up?

It might be too slippery, but it might work fine...it's a good product. I would just grab some Dex VI for the trans, since it's so rarly serviced, cost should not be an issue. Use the ATF+4 for the PSF.

Yes, I have a few qts. of Mopar ATF +4 that I would like to use. I also have a few qts. of ATF +3 left over from my old Hyundai that I would like to get rid of. That's why I'd use it in the Saturn M/T if it was at least as good as Dex III.

PS: A well respected BITOGer has already told me it would work OK but I want to hear other opinions too.

They say not to use Dex V1 in Dex III applications for manual shifted cars. Its back compatible for autos though.

I would only use dex III or MTL by redline. The D4 isnt much of an improvement.

I'm going to be very cautious here. Your results may vary.

ATF+3 and ATF+4 seem to be very much like Dexron III. The biggest difference seems to be the level of friction modifier.

Many Chrysler products with manual transmissions call for ATF+3 or ATF+4. Most generally, manual transmissions will function fine on a wide variety of fluids.

With this thinking in mind, I tried ATF+3 in my Ford Contour several years ago as a replacement for the factory installed Mercon/Dexron III. The higher level of friction modifier actually was a great improvement and it overcame the natural notchyness of my transmission.

I believe there is little or no risk in using the fluid for the application you have in mind, but I also stress that the risk is yours.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the additive package in ATF+4 is such that it is much more friction modified than Dexron-esque fluids, as well as as being more thermally stable.

This is why there are no multi-vehicle ATF's that include ATF+4 as one of the ATF's they can substitute for.

I went ahead and changed it using regular Shell ATF which had verbiage stating "for use in vehicles previously serviceable with Dexron III/Mercon fluid".
I'll find a use for that ATF +3 eventually.

One thing I learned over at the Saturnfans forum is to fill the M/T so that the fluid is in the middle of the cross-hatched area on the dipstick (not to the top). That forum is full of useful info for Saturn owners.

Thanks again for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back