03 VW Golf TDI, Lucas 5w30+Redline 10K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
03 GOLF TDI with 190,460 miles at UOA milestone.
VW full flow oil filter with Amsoil BP90 bypass. The bypass filter has 40K miles at UOA milestone.
FlynJ diesel with 8oz of 2T synthetic oil per fill up.
Fram air filter with 20K at UOA.

Original fill was 3qts of Lucas 5W30 and 2 qts of Redline 30WT race oil. Made up oil was 3/4qt of Lucas 5W30. Found a small leak at the turbo oil cooler line that could account for most of the made up oil. Fuel milage was around 52-57 mpg.

Not a bad oil at all and the tbn is still 5.85 after 10K. I changed the oil and all the filters in preparation for a 30K UOA with Luqui Moly Longtime Hightech 5W30 and Redline 30WT race oil. Stay tuned.

Lucas5W30UOA.jpg

Moly comes from Redline. But I was under the impression that Lucas had a ton of Boron in it and we're not seeing any of it.

Only 57 mpg? Kidding, that's amazing.

Interesting oil combo. Zinc is out of this world. Do you believe the hype about Lucas oils being very volatile? Do you think that may lead to more deposits? Does the redline tone down the volatility enough to make it a non-issue?

What is in redline race Oil? Do you know of any UOAs or VOAs for it? What about a redline street oil plus race oil cocktail? I would be interested in trying that just for fun if I could see a UOA or VOA of the race oil.

I can't speak for all Lucas oil, but the 5W30 that I ran here in AZ heat shows no abnormal issue with volatility. This oil is claimed to meet VW505 spec.

Redline just reformulated their product lines and I do not have any new VOA other than the one I did back in 1990's. I also race with Redline so I have a lot of old Redline race oil sitting around, several drums. I run it as a blend with pretty much all other synthetic oils to boost the additives.

I like the TDI so much that I will never buy another gasoline engine vehicle again unless it is a dedicated sport car.

I can't read the numbers, the picture is too small.

Have you thought about trying just Lucas 5w30 or 5w40, or just Redline 5w30 or 5w40?

Iron............16
Aluminum.......1
Copper.........2
Silicon...... ..9
Sodium.........9
Potassium......1
Molybdenum...392
Boron......... .2
Magnesium......227
Calcium.... ....2871
Phosphorous...2195
Zinc...... .....2145
Fuel...........1.3%
Soot........... [email protected]
TBN............5.85
Oxidation......46
Nitration......15

Comments: In order to PROPERLY EVALUATE OXIDATION for synthetic oils, we need LUBEMFR, LUBE TYPE (Product Name) and GRADE; In order to properly compare data to the right standards, we need manufacturer and model of the unit, and the manufacturer, type and grade of the lubricant; Unit hours/miles/kilometers not provided for this sample; Lubricant and filter change acknowledged;

Last edited:
Wear metals are really good. 1.6 ppm Fe / 1K miles. The other wear metals are within the margin of error.

Silicon is elevated. Either from an air filter/pre-turbo intake tract leak, or silicon in the oil (used for anti-foam I think).

Not sure why Sodium is elevated too.

Fuel quantity suggests lots of idling.

Gotcha.

We'd love to see results with just Lucas for 3 intervals and just Redline too for 3 intervals
banana2.gif

Would sure spark discussion over on TDI Club.

What mods have you got?

I ran the Lucas because it was on clearance at Checker for $1/qt plus it is claimed to exceed VW505. The mod includes 3" exhaust system, Van Aiken box, OMI pipe w/no EGR. By running 30WT oil I have gained another 4mpg. After the current 30K UOA I might just run Redline 5W20 or Lucas 5W20 to see if there is additional gain.

Lucas 5w20 claims to meet/exceed VW505. The Redline 5W20 can't be any worse than the Lucas, can't it? Since I am running a bypass it does not really matter to me whether the oil meets VW spec or not. Soot level has always been less than 0.1% with the bypass. Wear numbers are low as long as I run the Redline race oil as a blend.

Nice run. You've 'created' one heck of a stout oil there - 11+ visc., massive zinc, and high moly.

You should tell TallPaul or Gary Allen about this mix - they'd love to hear about it!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Nice run. You've 'created' one heck of a stout oil there - 11+ visc., massive zinc, and high moly.

So much moly and so much zinc, that whatever oil that goes in next will have high levels of retained moly and zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back