Here's the new comparison tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMSOIL is trying to gain market share from the big names. The average consumer has never heard of RP and probably AMSOIL. You always want to take on the big guys, that's where you gain the most. There's millions and million of consumers using the big name oils and only thousands using RP or RL.

You don't see the other major oil company's comparing themselves to RP or RL either.

Originally Posted By: pickled
The joys of non-Newtonian fluids at low temperatures.

+1 Pour point is a poor indicator of relevant cold flow characteristics in a cranking situation, where shear must be accounted for.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
AMSOIL is trying to gain market share from the big names. The average consumer has never heard of RP and probably AMSOIL.

I may be wrong, but I thought RP was on almost every oil shelf everywhere. I know wal-mart stocks them and I haven't seen any parts house in recent years that doesn't carry their products and display them prominently. Just for fun, ask a parts house worker what the best oil they have is. I bet they say RP.

Amsoil, on the other hand...

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
AMSOIL is trying to gain market share from the big names. The average consumer has never heard of RP and probably AMSOIL.

I may be wrong, but I thought RP was on almost every oil shelf everywhere. I know wal-mart stocks them and I haven't seen any parts house in recent years that doesn't carry their products and display them prominently. Just for fun, ask a parts house worker what the best oil they have is. I bet they say RP.

Amsoil, on the other hand...

That seems to be somewhat true. I was in pep Boys and there was a man and woman looking at different oil. The man was pointing out the different oil and told the woman that the Royal Purple was the best oil for long term and severe service. But they grabbed the Mobil-1 instead.

The reason I said that was, I like to play dumb at shops and ask the guy behind the counter what the best oil they carry is. I don't say what I'm using it in or anything like that - I just ask what the 'best' one is. I have never had anybody answer anything other than Royal Purple. Even when they have really exotic stuff. They always say RP is the best and probably 7 out of 10 claim to use it in their own vehicles. If I was Amsoil, this would be the crowd I would target.

First they used the Preffered Customer Price for their Synthetic pricing not the retail price but for all other products they used retail price......Lets make it apples to apples not apples to oranges! Second they did not use the lowest M1EP price with is under $7 a my Walmart they must of used the highest retail price they could find like AutoZOnes price for M1EP?????

No with regard to the how many times you need to change during the OCI what determined this??? Few oils list a change interval for their product they tell the customers to use what ever interval the OEM recommends. If they had used UOA as the change interval I am preety sure we would have seen a lot fewer oil changes for most of the products. So their cost saving issue is rather silly. If we used UOA to determine the change interval then I am pretty sure M1EP would end up coming fairly close to Amsoil in identical applications as in with in a few thousand miles of each other! On top of that they fail to mention that you also have to use the aprop.Amsoil filters in order to make that interval a reality but no mention of what filters are used or what change interval etc... is on the other ones..... It is so biased that it is almost comical. Not that I have any doubt that Amsoil makes a better product then the listed competition only that they do a really poor job of trying to make their oil look like it is a real money saver! They fail to include the $20 or more prefered customer charge and shipping cost's etc.....

Nothing is worth then someone peeing on your head and then telling you it's raining! Honesty and integrity always wins more customers then manipulating the facts and telling half truths and such!

John you hit the nail on the head, and put into a well written piece exactly how I felt. It pizzes me off bigtime when companies pull this shady [censored] and think everyones too dumb to notice. It is even worse when a supposedly good company stoops to this. I also questioned their choice of competitors, and That in itself made me think they were avoiding the top oils. Just another reason for me to never buy Amsoil again.

Thanks again John for taking the time to lay that all out so logically.

Kevin

Amsoil's target audience tends to be dino-oil users, not synthetic oil users. This is why you see the comparisons you do.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
First they used the Preffered Customer Price for their Synthetic pricing not the retail price but for all other products they used retail price......Lets make it apples to apples not apples to oranges! Second they did not use the lowest M1EP price with is under $7 a my Walmart they must of used the highest retail price they could find like AutoZOnes price for M1EP?????

They fail to include the $20 or more prefered customer charge and shipping cost's etc.....

Nothing is worth then someone peeing on your head and then telling you it's raining! Honesty and integrity always wins more customers then manipulating the facts and telling half truths and such!

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Amsoil used $8.90/qt price for the 10W-30 used in the evaluation. The current NEW LOWER price is $8.70/qt. (PC price is $6.70) Those are the facts. M1 is not less than $8.00/qt within 15 miles of my house. I HAVE looked. Some places it's $8.99. Amsoil used retail pricing, not sale pricing, not preferred customer pricing.

As for urinating, it's pretty clear who's peeing and joining in on the peeing contest without even checking the truth and the facts.

NOW there is a REAL reason to select a motor oil!

The reason I said that was, I like to play dumb at shops and ask the guy behind the counter what the best oil they carry is. I don't say what I'm using it in or anything like that - I just ask what the 'best' one is. I have never had anybody answer anything other than Royal Purple. Even when they have really exotic stuff. They always say RP is the best and probably 7 out of 10 claim to use it in their own vehicles. If I was Amsoil, this would be the crowd I would target.

Many retailers will flog what has the highest markup.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

NOW there is a REAL reason to select a motor oil!

No, that is real marketing at work. I wasn't trying to say anything negative about Amsoil, I'm just saying that the people looking for the 'best' oil is who your product is suited to. And, to be honest, there are alot of people who will trust the opinion of the guy behind the counter at a parts house as the authority, misinformed though he may be. Rather than calling those people dumb, you should be looking at how to convince them that Amsoil is, in fact, the best product. Making fun of the problem doesn't make it go away. I was just trying to help there.

And, while I'm here, I can get Mobil 1 for 7.49 a quart all day and if I buy 5 quarts at a time (and why wouldn't I?) it's just $4.40+tax. Then again, I could get it for as little as $12 ($2.40/qt) if I shopped sales. And PP is even less than that. Price matching is not Amsoil's game except against boutique oils like RP, which it could easily beat.

Last edited:
Off topic, but except for very cold temperature cranking, this Amsoil comparison of ATM against some others makes the 10w-30 ConocoPhillips products look excellent overall IMO, considering their price.

No, that is real marketing at work. I wasn't trying to say anything negative about Amsoil, I'm just saying that the people looking for the 'best' oil is who your product is suited to. And, to be honest, there are alot of people who will trust the opinion of the guy behind the counter at a parts house as the authority, misinformed though he may be. Rather than calling those people dumb, you should be looking at how to convince them that Amsoil is, in fact, the best product. Making fun of the problem doesn't make it go away. I was just trying to help there.

I was not making fun of anything, I was just saying how ironic people are with their comments...I did not say they are "dumb", just inconsistent.

I suppose I misread you. Sorry about that. I just think it's a waste to go up against somebody like M1 when RP is the real holder of your potential market share. And the point of my original post was to highlight the silliness of the 'best oil' question without putting it in any context, not to mention that people think that there is one answer to that question. Nonetheless, those people do exist so why shouldn't they buy Amsoil instead, right? Obviously they're susceptible to marketing.

I personally use PP at about $22.50 for a 5 quart jug and change my oil in both cars at around 4000 miles. Since both are new and under warranty, why would I extend the OCI to 25,000 miles with Amsoil and risk a warranty issue with the factory. Short answer is: I wouldn't. Amsoil is probably a good oil, but not worth $8.90 a quart, plus shipping and preferred customer cost. Seems Amsoil always has to use a bunch of charts and technobabble to try and get people to buy their oil at inflated prices. For me, PP from Walmart is just fine.

Originally Posted By: DEM5
Amsoil is probably a good oil, but not worth $8.90 a quart, plus shipping and preferred customer cost.

AGAIN - this incorrect "information" was posted by JohnIncorrectBrowning. Please for the love of Pete, read my posts above! There is no PC cost involved, that is suggested retail used in the study. And currently suggested retail is $8.70 and PC price is $6.70 per quart.

So, is PC now free? I don't understand.

No. He wrote: "not worth $8.90 a quart, plus shipping and preferred customer cost."

$8.90 is suggested retail. Why would someone pay suggested retail AND PC fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back