Fram Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was picking up a filter tonight and on the Fram TG2 it said filter has a 99.9% multi-pass efficiency. On the Purolator classic it says 96% multi-pass efficiency. I looked at the pure one's but was afraid to purchase it due to the restricted flow that alot of people questioned. Does the Fram filter out dirt better than the Purolator Classic?

The Fram Tough Guard traps 99% of particles larger than 20 Microns in size.

The Purolator PureOne traps 99% of particles at 20 Microns and larger.

The Purolator regular oil filter traps 97.5% of particles at 20 Microns and larger.

Hope that clears it up... It's clearly on their websites in the fine print.
grin2.gif

I must admit that the Fram marketing team are excellent. Even their packaging is great with all the diagrams and such. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would use a Purone over anything else, they are excellent filters. I haven't heard any horror stories about their low flow. In fact, I thought they had excellent flow, due to their higher than average amount of media surface area.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
I must admit that the Fram marketing team are excellent. Even their packaging is great with all the diagrams and such. Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad I could help... You gotta watch that fine print eh? Confusing...

I like when a company will quote a percentage of lets say 99.9% and another one will do the same, but only one of them is quoting a better percentage than the other if you read what scientific test or rating they are quoting. This really can confuse a lot of consumers in store.

If you had 2 boxes containing oil filters in front of you and both had 99% stamped on them in big bold font and one was cheaper, wouldn't you buy the cheaper one? Not knowing of course that say the one tested to 25 microns 99% and the other was 20 microns 99%.

Scary that they can get away with it. Not saying this is Fram/Purolator, but you can see how they could confuse the public quite easily / legally ...
wink.gif

I was picking up a filter tonight and on the Fram TG2 it said filter has a 99.9% multi-pass efficiency. On the Purolator classic it says 96% multi-pass efficiency. I looked at the pure one's but was afraid to purchase it due to the restricted flow that alot of people questioned. Does the Fram filter out dirt better than the Purolator Classic?

What restricted flow? They flow fine for reasonable OCI's.

See 9th post down in this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1566061&page=1

Yes it matters what efficiency at what Micron level. Also some of the better filters will filter down to much smaller micron levels to a greater degree which is important to keep those very small particles from squeezing between the parts and causing wear.

Last edited:
So I should be fine using the pure one with 5000 miles oil intervals. What made me a bit hesitant in purchasing the Pure One is that in my owners manual it states to install a high flow filter. Dodge ram 2009 1500 5.7

Originally Posted By: StevieC

The Purolator regular oil filter traps 97.5% of particles at 20 Microns and larger.

Hope that clears it up... It's clearly on their websites in the fine print.
grin2.gif

So is what filter they use to get those results. Most of the time it is probably bigger then the filter most people need (does this skew the results, I do not know). I know Purolators results are with the L or PL30001 filter and I am sure many other companies are with a similar size filter.

So I should be fine using the pure one with 5000 miles oil intervals. What made me a bit hesitant in purchasing the Pure One is that in my owners manual it states to install a high flow filter. Dodge ram 2009 1500 5.7

go with the RP

actually, from the flow restriction graph floating around here, the Fram TG is the most restrictive filter they tested. and actually the Fram XG was the best. the flow characteristics of the PUro One are fine for your Hemi. I've got one myself.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
actually, from the flow restriction graph floating around here, the Fram TG is the most restrictive filter they tested. and actually the Fram XG was the best. the flow characteristics of the PUro One are fine for your Hemi. I've got one myself.

Ya. Just because a filter will catch a high percentage of small particles doesn't mean it automatically flows better or worse. Cheaper filter media and/or less of it can make a huge pressure difference on any brand filter.
Even inexpensive/medium priced filters like Fram will catch 100% of all particles*.

*Larger than a golf ball

I looked at the pure one's but was afraid to purchase it due to the restricted flow that a lot of people questioned.

PureONEs flow is just as good or better than most filters. IMO, the rumor is false that they are too restrictive.

Chart below shows the relative flow performance of some filters.

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb.jpg

These also have a bypass correct? If so they will be the filters I will use from now on.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I don't think the "> 20" vs. "at 20" is true. Both are measured using the same ISO 4548-12 test.

The ISO test is a method, and does not dictate the size of passed particles counted or reported by the test.
In other words, you run the test with vatious sizes, and report an efficiency at whatever size--20, >20, 40 or 31, or whatever is convenient for the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
renos09ram said:
So I should be fine using the pure one with 5000 miles oil intervals.

On Purolator's website, they show the PureONE good for 15K OCIs.

See chart at bottom of the page in link:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx
They also rave about how much contaminates it can hold ... the main reason it can go a longer OCI.

They do not say it will go 15,000 miles. If you drive your car over 15,000 miles a year they recommend the PureOne. If you drive less than 15,000 miles a year they recommend the Classic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back