Anyone using Mobil 1 15w-50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been thinking of running an OCI of M1's 15w-50 oil in my Shadow which is a liquid-cooled twin. I know Harley Davidson engines and most air-cooled engines call for a 50 weight but would it do any harm to my liquid-cooled engine other than reduce fuel economy? The reason I ask is because I know motorcycles have a tendency to shear oils very badly and since Honda recommends a 40 weight oil, if I start out at 50 and it shears to a 40, I'll still be within spec.

Is this particular oil from M1 energy conserving? If it is, that will immediately answer my question. I cannot seem to find out it is or not from their website.

energy conserving oils are all 30 weight or less.
You'll have no problems with the Mobil-1 15W-50.
Gold Wings owners used it for years, some are using it again since they started making it available again.

The Shadow has a wet clutch and shares the same oil with the engine and transmission. Mobil 1 15W-50 has a heavy FM package that CAN cause troubles and even excess wear with your wet clutch.

I ran Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50 in my Shadow and then went to Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil. I prefer the Amsoil. Great clutch operation and very quiet, very smooth transmission. The motorcycle oils also have more ZDDP and more antioxidants.

For shared clutch bikes you should choose an oil that meets the JASO-MA spec as it will not contain any friction modifiers, if you like a quality full syn then try M1 V-Twin as it meets the spec.

Used it in my '96 Virago...it seemed to like it. No clutch side-effects (original clutch with 10K miles) and shifting felt nice.

Quote:
Mobil 1 15W-50 has a heavy FM package that CAN cause troubles and even excess wear with your wet clutch.
First I ever heard that one.
shocked2.gif

I've been using it for years, as have many, many, other guys - never heard of a clutch issue.
54.gif

I tried it, but didn't go back to it for two reasons. The UOA's for a shared sump showed that it sheared really fast. Also, my bike just 'drank' the stuff. Yeah, I had to add a full make-up quart in 2,500 miles.

I've been using it for a few changes, after switching from Red Line 15/50. My Speed Triple doesn't use a drop, and I can't see it shearing too much with 3-4,000 mile changes. No clutch issues either. I've read about a guy who had over 75,000 trouble free miles on a Triumph T Bird using the Red Cap 15/50. The Silver Cap is essentailly the same formula.

I used it quite a bit in the RC51 I used to have...Ran really good but couldn't tell any difference in clutch action between that or the Mobil MX4T 10w40 I used except the lighter weight oil made it more free reving...

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
Mobil 1 15W-50 has a heavy FM package that CAN cause troubles and even excess wear with your wet clutch.
shocked2.gif

I've been using it for years, as have many, many, other guys - never heard of a clutch issue.
54.gif

I agree. I do not think the new 15-50 is FM loaded. There is no energy concerving branding. It is loaded with extra Z and P, perfect for bike motors. I'm still working through my stash of 15-50 Red Cap M1 in a SV650. Great stuff.

I had 3 quarts of the old SJ rated red cap Mobil 1 15w-50 (for a bike I sold a few years back) in the cabinet in the garage, and I wanted to change out the oil in the GL1800 before a road trip this weekend.

But cooler weather is on the way, and wasn't big on using that 15w-50 this time of year.

So, I grabbed a quart of (the non energy conserving) Mobil 1 0w-40 out at Wal*Mart and put it all in the crankcase together.

I guess I ended up with a 11.25w-47.5....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Quote:
shocked2.gif

54.gif

I agree. I do not think the new 15-50 is FM loaded. There is no energy concerving branding. It is loaded with extra Z and P, perfect for bike motors. I'm still working through my stash of 15-50 Red Cap M1 in a SV650. Great stuff.

Newbie here, don't know all the lingo. Can someone help me out with what FM loaded means? I've been running the 15w50 in my bikes in the summer for years...

A few things about this oil M1 15w50 from my own experiences and from what I have leaned for others.

1. This is a good oil and will work with your wet clutches. Its been proven time and time again.
2. This oil shears very quickly to a 40wt. That within itself doesnt bother me, because all my other bikes I run a 40wt in anyway.
3. The reason to go for synthetic is for longer OCI. I have seen time and time again, this oils being a mid to thin grade 30w after 5k.

That said not a bad oil, but if you are going to change it @ 2500-3000k why bother with synthetic?

Last edited:
hi fergy

FM = friction modified

Originally Posted By: fergy
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Quote:
shocked2.gif

54.gif

Newbie here, don't know all the lingo. Can someone help me out with what FM loaded means? I've been running the 15w50 in my bikes in the summer for years...

Thanks! I was not aware that the M1 15w50 had anti friction modifiers in it?? It's API label doesn't sport the "energy conserving" notice... I've never had any trouble with it making my clutches slippery or anything else.

My reasoning behind running synthetics even though I usually change my oil and filter at 3K is for the luxury of not having to worry about it if I don't get to it right at 3K.

Quote:

FM = Friction Modifiers. They can cause clutch slippage on wet clutch bikes.

A small warning to those who use the "Energy Conserving" (EC) API donut logo to determine FM usage: while an oil labeled EC will most always have FM's, the absence of the EC on the API donut logo doesn't necessarily mean FM-free.

One rider's anecdotal experience with a Clean 5000 dino oil with no EC on the donut. (Grade not specified): Unofficial Honda Rebel forum

The higher viscosity oils don't usually qualify as EC due to their high viscosities, but can still have FM. I recently called Dean Brock at the Warren Distribution Customer Support, who checked with their lab guys, and found that the Super Tech 15w40 dino oil has FM even though there's no EC on the API donut logo.

I had used the M1 Red Cap 15w50 for many years before I learned that no EC donut doesn't mean FM-free, and thankfully it didn't ruin my clutch (knock on wood). That being said, I haven't used the Silver Cap 15w50 and have since bitten the bullet (at $9 a quart) and now buy the M1 motorcycle-specific oils.

That's a good point that the lack of a Energy Concerving lable doesn't neccessarily mean no friction modifiers.....What's interesting though when comparing JASO MA oils and clutch performance the only oil I've been able to make out any difference in terms of clutch "grab" is Valvoline motorcyle oil...Sunruh did a review on it and sure enough when I tried it it was very grabby as he reported in his review...That being said, I could tell no difference in clutch performance between the other motorcycle oils and the HDEO 15W40 oils I've used...

Originally Posted By: whitesands
...What's interesting though when comparing JASO MA oils and clutch performance the only oil I've been able to make out any difference in terms of clutch "grab" is Valvoline motorcyle oil...

Where did you find Valvoline JASO MA oil? I'm not really happy paying $9/qt. for M1 Racing 4T, I just don't want a clutch replacement in my near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back