Factory fill, 4018 miles, Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Honda Goldwing
Water-cooled 6
Shared engine/trans. oil, wet clutch

Comments:
First oil change. Oil was the factory fill.
The 'Moly'in the factory fill is interesting. And the oil is on the thin side but Honda does recommend 10W30
in the new 'Wings.

Blackstone Labs Test results:

Oil...............Factory Fill
Filter............OEM
Total Miles.....4,018
Miles on oil.....4,018
Time on Oil.....5 Mo
Make up oil......0
Aluminum.........9
Chromium.........1
Iron................53
Copper............85
Lead...............5
Tin.................8
Moly...............453
Nickel.............1
Manganese.......8
Silver.............0
Titanium.........0
Potassium........8
Boron.............168
Silicon............23
Sodium...........12
Calcium..........1816
Magnesium.......9
Phosphorus.......861
Zinc...............1122
Barium............12
Flashpoint F......395
Fuel............... Antifreeze........0
Water.............0
Insoluables.......0.2
SUS [email protected]
cST [email protected]
TBN.................Not Tested

They basically use a 10W-30 HDEO, and a ton of moly lube on assembly. In a bike, not sure I'd go that far on the FF, but each to their own...

Where'd all the Cu come from? I can understand the Fe; break in.

But the Cu comes from where? There's no oil cooler with brazed fittings that I know of. Is it leaching from something?

no joke.

copper is WAY high.

gotta be some bushings that really shed. wow.

tin of 8 is way high also.

aluminum is low for all the others being so high.

and your oil is a 20wt.

riverside eh, if you can handle the cost, run GC !!!

Yeah the GC might be a good oil, I have run it in my ST1100 (posted a bunch of UOA’s on this bike).
I put some Max life 10W40 in it this change but I’ll probably run an HDEO in it based on the good reports I have had with my ST. I’m not sure if I’ll go with a 40 wt or a 10W30 yet.

Rick

all i can say is this: GC passed the MixMaster of DOOM test. so, it cant be all that bad.

you could pick a poor (ie typical) 10w40 and it will be down to a 30wt in no time. how about that?
grin2.gif

Why so long on the first oil? Every new bike I've ever bought the factory has recommended an oil change at 600--1000 miles.

IMO... This UOA is a great example of why that first change should be a short one.

Quote:
Why so long on the first oil?

I think the O.M. actually shows 6,000 as the first change-out. Most guys don't go that far, obviously...

I agree that GC is a nice oil but it ended up with the lowest viscosity of all the oils that I tested in my ST1100 with 8,000 mile OCIs. Even the RTS 5W40 was higher.
The TBN was sure strong though. This might work well for really long OCIs while touring etc.
It will be interesting to compare reports between the ST and the Wing once it is broken in.

Here is some of my old tests:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1139519&page=1

Rick

Originally Posted By: cven
Why so long on the first oil? Every new bike I've ever bought the factory has recommended an oil change at 600--1000 miles.

IMO... This UOA is a great example of why that first change should be a short one.

OEM recommendation is 4,000 on the first change and then 8,000 after that. I have a few bikes to ride so it will take me a while to get the 8,000 on this change but I'll post that UOA when I get it.

Rick

Originally Posted By: Rick_A
I agree that GC is a nice oil but it ended up with the lowest viscosity of all the oils that I tested in my ST1100 with 8,000 mile OCIs. Even the RTS 5W40 was higher.

ok i just looked at your data.

what ya beeetching about?

60.3 is pretty darn good for a 30wt oil!!!
56.7954 is the bottom of 30wt.
that honda 10w40 was a 30wt!
yet the 0w30 was a 30wt after a hair under 8k miles.
that is STRONG!!!!
your maxlife didnt hold up worth a darn. out of grade by a large margin.
and the same can be said for SRT that started out a grade higher.
all in all you just proved why GC is actually a better oil for your bike.

congrats on that!

I didn't realize the manufactures pushed that first change out that far. (at least for the Goldwing)

I still would not go more than 500--1000 miles on a new bike engine.

My last new bike is a 1998 so I may be getting old and behind the times!! LOL..

Congrats on the new scoot!

Originally Posted By: Rick_A
OEM recommendation is 4,000 on the first change and then 8,000 after that. I have a few bikes to ride so it will take me a while to get the 8,000 on this change but I'll post that UOA when I get it.

Rick

I'm one of those who is more concerned about time than mileage (within reasonable limits). I would never, NEVER, go past a year, and believe that 6 months is high, but ok in clean conditions. 12,000 miles in 3 months doesn't bother me in my cage. What does Honda say about time?

Honda recommends 8,000 miles or 1 year for my Goldwing.
That works for me because I have always set a one year limit on my vehicles that don’t get driven very much.

Rick

I have to agree with Rick_A on this....

The UOA doesn't prove the GC was better for the st1100 for the length of the OCI's...Yes, the UOA proved that the GC was a more shear stable oil itself, but all the other oils were still a higher viscosity at the end of the OCI so the fact that the GC oil stayed in grade makes little difference to the bike when it comes to viscosity...

There's more to the moly issue , Redline is an mb rated fluid, does not meet Japanese clutch stall specs, yet Motul 15w50 full of moly does meet the MA gate on clutch friction. They are near the same levels of moly above 500ppm.

I chsnge oil very frequently and never have I seen dirty clutch basket, but I replaced a cam chain on a bike that had just been through 15w50 motul and there was black moly paste in crevices of the clutch basket, never had any slip issues noted though.

Redline however, I did develope some mild slip issues after 5,000 mile of uses or a couple oil changes. I thought it was in my head at first for a few weeks. Then I went up a big hill in top gear at full thorttle ,no doubt then it was slipping. Dumped out the redline to a known good clutch oil and never had anymore issue.

Sub 100 moly no issue, but start getting around 500ppm+ and slippage can come into play, I think redline is near 700ppm moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back