What a difference some bushings make!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago, I replaced the struts/shocks on the PT Cruiser with Bilstein HDs. The rears were fine, but the front passenger side rattled way too much and made noise each time I turned the wheel.

Turned out I should've replaced the strut mounts at the same time. So I took it back apart and replaced those.

Much better, but still "squeaky". Turns out the control arm bushings were shot ( a common Chrysler problem).

Took it in to the shop today to get the bushings replaced with ENERGY polyurethane ones and get everything aligned properly.

What a difference! I can actually enjoy driving it now. No more squeaks or rattles and solid steering feedback! Feels the same, if not better, than when it rolled off the dealership lot.

very true, i replaced the lower trans mount,the engine to strut tower brace mount the strut brace bushings with poly inserts. difference is huge, i can actually shift the trans now. although a slight rough idle is more noticeable.

Speaking of bushing upgrades for PT Cruisers... has anyone else used these in their engine torque-strut (aka "dogbone") mounts?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=5%2E1105#

When I bought my wife's PT, it had a torn lower torque strut bushing, resulting in a really annoying shudder under acceleration at about 25 mph. I replaced both struts (upper OEM, lower aftermarket) and the aftermarket strut lasted a whole 6 months before tearing again. I replaced it with OEM, but still could detect a little drivetrain shudder at that magic 25-30 mph under acceleration. I ordered two sets of those urethane inserts and put them in both the upper and lower torque struts- they say they're for the lower, but the rubber is actually identical in both. Wow, what a difference! No more shudder, and the only downside is just a tick more vibration at idle.

I have urethane solid engine mounts on my car, and it is much better. However you do feel it some at idle, especially when the a/c compressor kicks on and off.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Speaking of bushing upgrades for PT Cruisers... has anyone else used these in their engine torque-strut (aka "dogbone") mounts?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=5%2E1105#

When I bought my wife's PT, it had a torn lower torque strut bushing, resulting in a really annoying shudder under acceleration at about 25 mph. I replaced both struts (upper OEM, lower aftermarket) and the aftermarket strut lasted a whole 6 months before tearing again. I replaced it with OEM, but still could detect a little drivetrain shudder at that magic 25-30 mph under acceleration. I ordered two sets of those urethane inserts and put them in both the upper and lower torque struts- they say they're for the lower, but the rubber is actually identical in both. Wow, what a difference! No more shudder, and the only downside is just a tick more vibration at idle.

I am using Prothane Motor mount/ torque strut inserts as well as their Lower Control Arm bushings in my SRT4. It's a vast improvement over stock and the MM inserts have taken care of about 90% of my wheel hop.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
How are those urethane control arm bushings going to stay lubricated?
Any grease fittings [not likely]?

Good question, I wondered that myself and the small amount of grease sent with the bushings is not nearly enough. I called them and they said I could use any type of water resistant marine type grease so I got some Amsoil Synthetic Water Resistant Grease.

They also said you can't use too much so I got silly with the grease and it's been 3+ years and not a squeak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back