Brake fluid disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mix it in with my 5gal jug o' oil, I just don't tell the people at AZ what I"m doing because if I did, they will say it's contaminated and not take it.
Same goes for solvent and brake cleaning spray. Mix it in good and don't tell them. When AZ's oil tank is picked up, the guy is supposed to test the used oil for "contaminents", AZ pays extra money to ignore a lot of those contaminents, however it does vary store to store.

f you live in an area with a municipal ininerator, just soak it into old towels and put it in the trash. Burns nicely and that gets it out of the environment. Do NOT put it down a drain as it will persist for quite a time in the aqueous environment and enter streams, etc.

Thanks, I wasn't sure since it is water soluble I didn't know if I could mix it with the used oil.

Take it to AAP/AZ etc, as they will accept old automotive fluids.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/inourstores/services.jsp

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/services/recycling.asp

Fouling up old motor oil with brake fluid just creates a nuisance for whoever is trying to re-refine the oil; since brake fluid has high boiling point, kind of like motor oil.

Intentionally contaminating motor oil with brake fluid and then disposing of it at autozone, is at the same level as people who put bagged houshold garbage in Goodwill clothing collection bins.

Keep it separate.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22

Intentionally contaminating motor oil with brake fluid and then disposing of it at autozone, is at the same level as people who put bagged houshold garbage in Goodwill clothing collection bins.

How about soaking bagged household garbage with used brake fluid and putting it in a Salvation Army clothing collection bin?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: ionbeam22

How about soaking bagged household garbage with used brake fluid and putting it in a Salvation Army clothing collection bin?
28.gif

That's art.
thumbsup2.gif

The environmental consultant that called on the shop I worked in told us that it could be mixed with oil for disposal and did not contaminate the oil.

We sold a lot of brake fluid flushes and probably disposed about five gallons of used brake fluid a week.

If you really want to make sure, check with whoever collects the used oil to see if they think it matters.

Brake fluid will evaporate fairly easily and it is an environmentally approved method of disposal but I prefer to take it to a brake shop. My local "Just Brakes" has always been willing to take my used fluid despite never having had any work done with them.

Brake fluid doesn't evaporate. If it did, it would polute the air. Likely the best place for it is with used oil that will be used for heating fuel. Check with where you dispose of your oil.

It seems that we have a thread like this every six months. Whether you can add brake fluid to the oil waste stream depends on the end usage of the oil by the recycler. If it's being used as bunker fuel, it's okay. If it's being rerefined into motor oil, brake fluid (and other volatiles) can wreak havoc with the refinery. Always ask your recycler if it's okay to add brake fluid to the waste oil.

Personally, I use old brake fluid as an accelerant in my fireplace. Being an alcohol, it burns cleanly, and incineration is an excellent way to dispose of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back