Anyone ordered a bike online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performance is headquartered in Chapel Hill NC, where I work. I've been to there store a few times here. Their bikes are nice.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
A friend of mine just ordered a bike online, this one if you're interested:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1072807_-1_45500_20000_45501

He will probably ask for my help in assembly. How involved is this going to be? I would guess the toughest issue will be getting the alloy steerer tube sized and cut.

There is no cutting required. Most likely, the bike will arrive with the stem already attached to the fork. All you will have to do is mount the handlebars to the stem. The only tool you should need is a few allen wrenches. The whole assembly process shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes, and that's assuming you and your friend are taking your time.

Very nice bike, BTW!!!

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
There is no cutting required. Most likely, the bike will arrive with the stem already attached to the fork. All you will have to do is mount the handlebars to the stem. The only tool you should need is a few allen wrenches. The whole assembly process shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes, and that's assuming you and your friend are taking your time.

Very nice bike, BTW!!!

So would you guess that the brakes and derailleurs will be dialed in as well??

FWIW - his price was $1,299 + shipping - I am so jealous.

Brakes and derailleurs will both need to be adjusted. If you and your friend are not comfortable doing that, a local bike shop should knock out those two items for around $20.

$1299 is a good price for that bike.

Very nice bike, BTW!!!

For that price, someone else to pedal should be provided.

Park tool website is your friend. If you want to tackle the fine tuning they have all the info to walk you through it.

It is the best source I have found. Don't trust that things are adjusted properly. My front derailer was to low when it was installed. I went through all the adjustments on my online purchase.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX

Very nice bike, BTW!!!

For that price, someone else to pedal should be provided.

LOL. I was in for a little price shock when I first went shopping for a bike after over 10 years. I ended up going with a $500 but have had so much fun upgrading components over the last year.

Brakes and derailleurs will both need to be adjusted. If you and your friend are not comfortable doing that, a local bike shop should knock out those two items for around $20.

$1299 is a good price for that bike.

$20 to adjust brakes AND gears? it wouldn't be worth my time. I would have to charge at least $8 per unit; $32 total. cable length needs to be checked, were the housings deburred properly? cables lubed and pre-stretched? travel limits set? front der height/parallelism set?
proper bicycle setup is more than bolting some parts on a frame. but that's how performance can sell stuff cheap- no techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back