M1 0w30 in a VW 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2008 Rabbit with the 2.5L engine.

Based on this comment..... "I am not sure if there are any used-oil analysis (UOA) results with Syntec in the 2.5-liter Rabbit, but everything I have read indicates that that engine is very easy on oil. It's not turbocharged, it does not run super-hot, and it has a relatively large sump capacity -- it is everything that the 1.8T and 2.0T engines are not, and those are engines where the 5k-mile OCI is recommended."

....I am wondering if Mobil 1 0w30 would be a good oil for this engine with 5k OCI's? The reason I ask is....with the recent M1 rebates, I have stocked up on 0w30. At the least, would the Ow30 be a good winter oil as opposed to the recommended 5w40....then I could pour in 5w40 for a summer fill?

What do you think?

VW calls for a VW 502.00 approved oil in that engine, which M1 0w30 is NOT. With that said, the oil will work fine in that engine, but if anything goes wrong, and you have to go in for warranty work...

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
but if anything goes wrong, and you have to go in for warranty work...

+1

Stick with VW 502.00 approved oil during warranty period.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
but if anything goes wrong, and you have to go in for warranty work...

+1

Stick with VW 502.00 approved oil during warranty period.

+2

enough said. I don't want warranty issues.

Though warranty period I will keep pouring in Castrol 5w40 or GC 0w30.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
enough said. I don't want warranty issues.

Though warranty period I will keep pouring in Castrol 5w40 or GC 0w30.

I'd definitely stick with a quality 5W-40 oil with any modern VW/Audi/Porsche engine. As someone else already said, M1 0W-30 will probably work just fine, but it's not up to VW's spec.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
it's not up to VW's spec.

Minor correction: It hasn't been certified to VW's specs. It very well might be good enough; it's just that without the certification, it's a gamble.

How would the dealer know that a non-approve oil was used? I doubt they would test the oil?

In the extremely unlikely event that you have oil-related problems, they may ask for receipts. Then they'll know.

Like was said before, its all a gamble. They may or may not give a rats [censored] what oil you used.

We ran GC in our '06 VW 2.5, and it loved it. It's a 502.00 oil, so no warranty concerns. I'd use that before the M1 0w-30.

This engine IS relatively easy on oil, as VW engines go.

Originally Posted By: mez
How would the dealer know that a non-approve oil was used? I doubt they would test the oil?

Why wouldn't they test it. Best to use the mfg approved oil till you're out of warranty. For CYA reasons if no other.

I'm just wondering, what would they test for in order to point out with exact precision that the given oil was or was not 502.00-certified? If it was fresh oil, maybe it would have been easier to determine or match against any of the 502.00-certified oils, but once the oil is used, its properties eventually change, especially if there's a possibility of oil-related engine failure on hand.

Yeah, but add pack could get depleted once the oil is in service. Besides, there could be an oil out there that meets 502.00 requirements even though it wasn't officially certified as such by VW. A lot of gray area there...

Maybe they have a database of the approved oils that show what the properties would be based on time/milage/service?

Speaking for myself, using the mfg spec'd oil is hassle free. No worries about warranty issues if something goes wrong. Spending @$7/qt for the M1 0w-40 is much, much cheaper than any possible warranty denial and getting stuck with a four wheeled lawn ornament.

Course, when the warranty expires........

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I certainly agree. I was just trying to play devil's advocate a little. :)
55.gif

Euro specs are for Euro driving. Are you going to run flat out at 130mph all day? If not, then you can use a lighter oil. Although not my 1st choice, M1 0w-30 is a fine oil for this application at 5000 miles. Splash it with a quart or two of Mobil 1 10w-40 Hi-Miles for summer if you want.

Remember, a 30 weight oil is a 40 weight at just 10 degrees cooler, and the in-spec 0w-40 shears down to 12cSt anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back