Engine Oil: Prado Diesel D4D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The handbook for my 2007 Prado states that ACEA B1, API CF-4 of CF oil is required. I know nothing about oils so hence these dumb questions.

Is the requirement ACEA B1 Boolean AND API CF-4 etc or is it Boolean OR?

The problem is I can't seem to buy B1 oil. I can get B3 and/or B4 but not B1. From the web I understand that B1 has a lower shear characteristic than B3/B4. I am unsure whether this is better or worse. Stuff on ACEA seems to indicate that better fuel consumption would occur with B1 over B3 but what is the effect on engine life?

I am too unsure on what viscosity oil should be used. The Toyota handbook seems to indicate virtually anything would do, i.e. 5/10/15/20W - 30 or 40 or 50. Ambient temperatures here range from 10 degrees Celsius to 45 C. I often tow a van with an all up weight of 2.4 tonne.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tanya
Queensland Australia

Tanya,
welcome to the world of Japanese engine specs in Oz.

Given the high specific power outputs of the current Japanese DI engines, the temperatures,and nearly 2 tonnes of vehicle and no torque off turbo (I've got a Navara ST-R), I'd steer away from the A1.

Check if it limits the choices of oils "beyond" CF, CF-4, like mine does...it may matter if you have a warranty issue.

Mobil 1 0W-40 probably will provide everything that you need, albeit at $20/L

Both the Mobil 1 and Fuchs are decent choices for that engine. If you're going synthetic, 0W-40 or 5W-40 are decent choices. Going down the mineral or semi-synthetic route, 10W-40 or 15W-40 would be the way to go.

If you're towing a van, I would be more worried about differential fluids though. Might want to switch those over to synthetic, or change them out every 25,000-30,000 km.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The Cg-4 bit would upset Nissan.

We put it in Nissan's too - it's our bulk tank diesel oil,everything gets it.Engines die from neglect,not putting a slightly not recommended oil in at regular service intervals.

If I always change the engine at 5,000 km intervals, is there any advantage using an expensive fully synthetic oil such as Delvac 1 over a mineral oil such as Delvac MX 15W -40?
Thanks

No, I don't think there is any realistic advantage unless you drive in such a way to heat the oil beyond the normal safe temperatures for mineral oil; i.e. tow a heavy caravan in +40 or 50 C. heat.
I believe an examination of your owners' manual will recommend considerably longer intervals. What does it say?
Can any of you Australians comment on Penrite oils, such as HPR 15?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie but the Toyota handbook does not mention the use of synthetic oils let alone extended oil change intervals. I did write to Toyota but they said that the use of synthetic oils was at the discretion of the owner.

Yes, Charlie, the owner's manual really really says to change the oil at every 5,000 km when towing. Note I tow a 2.4t van. If you don't tow the oil change interval is 10,000 km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back