GC: here is my plan - tell me if I'll be ok...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Honda CRX Si (D16A6). 31,000 original kms (19,000 miles). I plan to change the oil to GC this fall before it is stored for the winter. Car is usually only driven 1000-2000kms per year. I plan to run the GC for 2 years with a filter change before next year's storage. The GC will be drained in the fall of 2011.

Fall 2009: Change oil to GC with new filter
Fall 2010: Change oil filter only
Fall 2011: Change oil and filter

Well,I know the other ones here will tell you that it will be fine.myself however find that Honda`s prefer thinner oil,the only difference with yours is its a 1991 so you might be ok.

I've run Syntec 5W50 in this vehicle before without any issues or any appreciable drop in fuel economy. The recommended viscosity is 5W30, therefore an 0W30 should represent no problems.

If you've run a 50 weight and you were happy you should be fine. The issue at hand is that not all 30 weights are alike. GC is a very heavy 30 (almost a 40) with high HTHS for its grade. Many people with Hondas and other smaller displacement engines have responded negatively to those properties, hence the warning. Bulk Honda-dealer 5W30 is probably significantly thinner than GC.

What are your storage conditions? Climate controlled or daily temperature cycle? If uncontrolled, I *might* be inclined to be concerned about condensation in the oil on the second winter, since there would be combustion byproducts in the oil at this point which could form acids. Your distance traveled is certainly short enough for the oil.

Last edited:
The car will be stored in our garage. It is not climate controlled, but it is attached to the house. You've got me thinking now. Perhaps for the $40, it might be worth it to change out the oil annually like I've been doing. It is just such a shame to drain high quality synthetic oil with only a few thousand kms on it.

GC has a pretty high TBN and with those low mileage numbers would hold up well in my opinion. I think it depends a lot on how you drive those 1000-2000 km's... If its mostly short trips less than a few miles each including winter driving, then condensation of moisture in the crankcase and fuel dilution can degrade the oil quickly. If your trips are long enough to allow the engine to run to full operating temperature, then contamination will be less of an issue and the oil will hold up much longer. Its always safe to change the oil annually for low mileage use, but you can always resort to an oil analysis after a year and see what its condition truly is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jesbo
GC has a pretty high TBN and with those low mileage numbers would hold up well in my opinion. I think it depends a lot on how you drive those 1000-2000 km's... If its mostly short trips less than a few miles each including winter driving, then condensation of moisture in the crankcase and fuel dilution can degrade the oil quickly. If your trips are long enough to allow the engine to run to full operating temperature, then contamination will be less of an issue and the oil will hold up much longer. Its always safe to change the oil annually for low mileage use, but you can always resort to an oil analysis after a year and see what its condition truly is.

All true. Although if it's been modified too (he doesn't say, but it's clearly "special interest"), then that may increase the fuel dilution problem even when it isn't cold/idling.

It is a shame to waste the oil. You could always send a UOA away late-fall but before it's too late to change it and see what the TBN and fuel dilution is, I suppose.... (?)

Of course that's $40 right there once you get it shipped from Canada.

.. is to make sure that the car is fully warmed up for at least 15 minutes before you shut it down for the winter. This way moisture and by-products will have been evaporated off by the engine heat.

Old oil is fine. As logn as it is oil, dry, non-contaminated oil

Just Me

Id go longer than 15 minutes... that is long enough for all the junk to load into the oil, without flashing off. Id go longer - 30 or 40 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back