What wood for what Meat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Applewood smoked bacon is my favorite! Unfortunetly my wife has put us on a restrictive diet lol. Today I got my 4 egg ommelet with a side of green weed!? I used to work at a winery where we sometimes chopped up damaged wine barrells and Pedro our Cellar Rat ußed them for smoking meats and fish for everyone. Good times!!

We used a bag of mixed woodchips (hickory, oak, and apple) on our last pork butts. Tasted awesome! Sometimes hickory can overpower the pork taste, and the apple seems to balance it out.

thanks Drew,

off topic some but what the h ell

how hard is it to do pork butt with charcoal?,if you load the grill good(big grill),how often would you need to rekindle the brickets?

Pablo nailed it...sometimes I push the mesquite at everything just because I'm a fan of that acrid flavor. Applewood is my second throw at everything.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
It takes me 18lbs. of kingsford to go 12-14 hours on my Smokey Mountain... On a grill, you'd probably need to add 5-6lbs. every 3 or 4 hours.

Thanks greenaccord,
thumbsup2.gif

this is a big grill it's home aid for family outings could take two bags 18lbs no problem so load her up and should be good for a wile huh??
Originally Posted By: pickled
Pablo nailed it...sometimes I push the mesquite at everything just because I'm a fan of that acrid flavor. Applewood is my second throw at everything.

thats my main wood mesquite too,but need to get others to try.

thanks everyboby for your input.

Mesquite is my main smoking and cooking wood also. I've tried to branch out, but my wife threatens me if I use anything else.

One other thing. Real wood charcoal is available almost everywhere now. I buy charcoal mesquite (from Mexico) by the big bag. The mesquite charcoal doesn't add any smoke flavor, so you still have to use wood. I've found it vastly superior to the little cubes made of coal and waste wood products that almost everyone has been brainwashed to use.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve even heard of people using fruit tree wood also.

You don't want peach or apricot wood....nasty.

I forgot apple on my list. Very light, and sweet good.

My favorite remains - Alderwood.

Real wood charcoal is pretty sweet to work with. You typically do get a higher temperature and more time over 380F than you do with the blue bag. You have to be very attentive to making sure that you aren't running out though. I must say that the old blue bag is extremely consistent these days and the folks at Clorox do an excellent job at keeping old BBQ Bob's needs in mind when any changes are proposed to that product. I once bought a bag of Cowboy wood char that I couldn't even get to light! I figured it was the stuff scraped out from the corners when they cleaned the kiln, because I know for a fact that I've had easier to burn anthracite coal LOL.

Real wood charcoal is pretty sweet to work with. You typically do get a higher temperature and more time over 380F than you do with the blue bag. You have to be very attentive to making sure that you aren't running out though. I must say that the old blue bag is extremely consistent these days and the folks at Clorox do an excellent job at keeping old BBQ Bob's needs in mind when any changes are proposed to that product. I once bought a bag of Cowboy wood char that I couldn't even get to light! I figured it was the stuff scraped out from the corners when they cleaned the kiln, because I know for a fact that I've had easier to burn anthracite coal LOL.

See, I don't know about 380F - I want more like 220-270F

I use kiawe(mesquite) wood chunks usually at least 12 inches thick, I break them apart. I'm fortunate to get fresh cuts. It runs a little cooler and longer than dry kiawe. Also it smokes better. Can't beat fresh cuts.

It's the only wood I've used. I've heard great reviews on guave wood as it's not as hot as kiawe wood and also great for smoking.

Well that would do I guess with charcoal. Kiawe wood needs to burn itself to get a steady temp or it will be too hot.

The only thing is drippings on charcoal produces ash splatter if meat is too close it may go on it. Many ask me for the kiawe wood chunks, they mix it with charcoal. It produces a hotter heat and also with smoke flavor from the hardwood.

Kiawe makes for a tasty cut of meat that's for sure. When I'm smoking meat I have an offset fire box...that helps get rid of the flame up/spatter issues.

Kiawe makes for a tasty cut of meat that's for sure. When I'm smoking meat I have an offset fire box...that helps get rid of the flame up/spatter issues.

I think there is misunderstanding. Your talking of smoking I'm about talking of grilling.

For smoking woods, one of the best I found when my parents cut down their cherry tree.

For fuels, I like hardwood charcoal, but can't get that easily.

Coir charcoal is pretty available, and pretty good.

I only use briquettes when I'm making jerky, and want a really low, really long burning trail of fuel, interspersed with wood.

Great info,where does one get hardwood charcoal?, i just use Kingsford blue bag,load her up and burn.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
I use kiawe(mesquite) wood chunks usually at least 12 inches thick...

We must be talking different lingo - I've never see 12" diameter mesquite. Does the bush even get that big???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back