Diesel fuel as an engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Yes, and No.

My first car, an LC Torana 138ci 6 cyl.

sludged to the point that the rocker arm movement in the rocker cover was molded to fit. Scraped the muck out of the rocker cover, a sump full of kero, and some idling, and it worked pretty good.

A neighbour and I used a diesel treatment probably a half dozen times over similar years for rattly tappets (hydraulic).

Anything that you are likely to come across these days probably wouldn't be a good idea.

These were all 60s designed engines, with relatively low pressures on cams and bearings, and low specific power outputs.

I seen a friend do it about 25 years ago. He drained his oil and refilled with diesel (from his employers tank) and ran it for less than a minute. He had the car for a few years after that so it wasn't immediately fatal. I would rather add a qt. of MMM or even GUNK motor flush to 3 or 4 qts of regular oil prior to changing so that there is some LUBRICATION. Diesel fuel does not provide sufficient lubrication IMO.

A 138cid 6 is the smallest automotivr 6 cyl I have ever heard of. I cannot think of a modern 6 that small.

I had the "Big Six", the 300cid Ford inline.

Can't say about automotive engines. But I've seen LOTS of industrial diesel engines come into the shop over the years, with fuel in the oil for one reason or another. It can range from maybe 10% fuel dilution to approaching 100% (along with massive overfilling), depending on the type and severity of failure. For what it's worth, these engines are invariably squeaky clean inside- diesel fuel really dissolves that sludge. And while I HAVE seen engine damage associated with fuel in the oil, it's only been in cases where the equipment has been run for days or maybe weeks with massively diluted oil.

Personally, I wouldn't do this to an engine unless the sludge was a real PROBLEM- like the one that Shannow described. But in a case like that, I think that running the engine for a day or two with a mix of 40% diesel fuel and 60% 15W40 engine oil would be VERY effective.

GUNK motor flush is/was largely kerosene.
Adding a quart to 5 qts of oil and idled for 15 minutes likely won't hurt anything seriously.
Diesel fuel is in the kerosene family so it should work nearly as well and the Gunk.
There are safer alternatives however, and if it were my auto, I'd use those instead.

Originally Posted By: Silk
138? We didn't get the Torana with a grey engine here,were they using old stock?

Silk, they were red motors.

It was a special for the LC Torana, smoothest Holden 6 ever IMO.

I've never seen a 138 red engine.The LC Torana wasn't that popular here as Holden had to fully compete with Vauxhall....same as the Falcon had to stand up to the Zephyr.The 4 cyl was considered a joke,and if you wanted a 6 cyl,why not get a real car,not a pokey little one with a big engine.But the 2850 Torana was fairly popular,comparable to the Capri V6.By the time we got to the LH Torana Vauxhall were fading away,so they were more common.

I think,Add Little bit of diesel fuel in to the engine and leave the engine running at idle speed wont harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back