Brake Fluid Clean Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi all. Had my high pressure hose blow out of the coupling with the master cylinder. Fluid got pretty much everywhere in the engine area, looks like it drenched a couple of wire connectors. What is the best way to clean this stuff off? Go easy with the hose? Wipe it all down by hand? Also, where can I get a factory service manual (dealer only I assume?) Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Mazda 6 2005....

I sprayed it slightly with some water ... I guess it should be fine ?

I would just spray a degreaser on the engine components and proceed to power-wash the entire engine compartment, just like any other routine wash.

Is this necessary will Brake Fluid eat some stuff ? :p there

Just clean up the excess with a cloth, rinse a bit with water and don't worry about it. Had the master cylinder start peeing fluid all over my electrical harness in my Caravan and it was fine the 12 years after I drove it and it drenched everything in sight.

Tech manuals at the dealer... Best kind to buy, they tell you everything and more than you ever wanted to know about the car.

Being an older model they should be a reasonable price.

What do you need for?

Last edited:
Brake fluid is not water soluble. It is hygroscopic.
Brake fluid will eat the paint off of whatever it is laying on in the engine compartment.
It will look fine, then a week or so later, you will notice bubbles and lifting.
Household cleaner like 409, engine cleaner, simple green, etc., and water with a hose.

On paper, brake fluid may be water soluble, as some sort of technical point.
But working with it for decades shows me otherwise. Water alone is not a good clean up or solvent for it by any means.

Take a beaker of water, mix in some brake fluid, and see for yourself what happens. Water alone should work fine to remove all traces of ethylene glycol brake fluid.

Try cleaning parts, tools, and your hands with just water when you are dealing with brake fluid. Good luck.
[I'm sure you are right technically .]
But this is the original poster's concern - cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back