NAPA 3003 Fuel Filter as PS Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
30k in the trans is much different than 30k on the PS. I would never use the NAPA on ATF. Apples and oranges. I did enough PSF exchanges to see at what volume the stuff flows....and I'm comfortable. Remember too, if the filter is installed prior to the reservior, the reservior itself should be able to dampen any flow "spikes".

Someone who wanted to do the best possible job might use the NAPA filter for 6 months and once the system is "cleaned", toss it out in place of a new one. I plan on just running the old one, ad infinitum.

I also liked the way the Magnefine has cooling fins on it's body...that fluid gets pretty hot and every little bit of cooling helps...going to order two more from our sponsor for my other Jeep and a spare...great little filter for the money IMO!
thumbsup2.gif

I run a Magnefine on my PS system. I like the fact it also has a good sized magnet built-in for the ferrous junk. In PS applications, the Magnefine is probably a lifetime filter, so the cost isn't a concern to me.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I run a Magnefine on my PS system. I like the fact it also has a good sized magnet built-in for the ferrous junk. In PS applications, the Magnefine is probably a lifetime filter, so the cost isn't a concern to me.
Thats what I'm thinking also.My automatic transmission Magnefine will be changed once a year along will a fluid drain but the power steering Magnefine will probably be a lifetime filter with just power steering fluid changes with Valvoline Max-Life fluids.

filtering p/s or tranny oil thru that gas filter will be ok, the only problem is when it gets "full", it won't pass fluid as well/barely/at all. So you REALLY need to keep an eye on it.
ATP makes an inline magnafine filter with a oil bypass built in.
There's no bypasses built into fuel filters.
I have an ATP on my Ranger using Redline PSF (approved by Cardone (they have a list of "approved" PSF for their rebuilt PS pumps)) on a complete steering system flush. the rebuilt Cardone pump is a tad quieter (but I like hearing the whine of the pump.. ), but the steering is a bit stiffer, I'm assuming it's because of the filter? It's my first time using an inline filter on the p/s line. the redline psf is still red, I can't see through it anymore, but it's clean and everything seems to be fine..

I use a VW Beetle inline filter for my washer fluid resovoir. Just to catch some of the gunk in the lines so I don't have to worry as much about cleaning the nozzles. $4, it's cheap insurance.

Tape a rare earth magnet to it and see if it collects anything. The plastic would be real nice for that. Even easier to install a reusable magnet with the steel cased version.

In a decently clean PS system, there is a limited about of debris that can accumulate. On a fuel system, its' nearly an unlimited amount of debris and trans can shed a good bit of pad material. So, the PS filter application should do pretty well in terms of loading.

In an old system or one that is getting cleaned by Auto-Rx, a filter change at some point is advisable. Otherwise, the benefits far outweight the risks.

The 2 vehicles I installed on are just fine. The fluid looks crystal clear.

I'd go metal. Seen too many under hood fires caused by ricer mods.

I think that we're overly infatuated with 'seeing' the media.

The "don't worry" crowd scares me. "Just carry a spare filter and quart of PSF in case it fails". Add a fire extinguisher to that list.

Magnefine and equivalents like Wix... are cheap enough and can be simply forgotten about.

Would this type of a filter also work as a coolant filter? My thinking is that if it will work for P/S filter and fuel, it should be OK with coolant. I wouldn't think the coolant would be any hotter than the P/S fluid. Pressure would be higher though, about 15-16 psi. What do you think?

I think it is pretty common to filter coolant on big rigs. There is a small movement to adding them to vehicles you want around or a long time. you would be surprised at what gets filtered out. Google "coolant filters". You filter small amounts in a "bypass" setup btw.

I just bought a metal one yesterday to use on the Ford F-150 my father-in-law gave to me. Engine has around 50,000 miles on it, (Ford replaced the long block under warranty at about 50,000 miles) the rest of the truck has 101,000.

Pretty cool idea. I figure he has never changed out his power steering fluid, and draining it will be more effective than the turkey baster method.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Would this type of a filter also work as a coolant filter? My thinking is that if it will work for P/S filter and fuel, it should be OK with coolant. I wouldn't think the coolant would be any hotter than the P/S fluid. Pressure would be higher though, about 15-16 psi. What do you think?

Depends on what you have. On my Ranger I have a small 3/8 return hose to the top of coolant resivior. I put a fuel filter similiar to the original post on it. Had it on there for about 10k with no problems. It would take longer to filter but the price is right, and it is catching stuff. You could probably plumb one in between the heater hoses quite easily. Use the metal filter though the plastic gets a bit flexiable in high temps.

There are few if any complex parts in a cooling system. Water pumps are routinely replaced anyway. I don't see a lot of clogged radiators either.

One of the reasons that large diesel engines have coolant filters is it's easy to replenish the coolant DCA-4 corrosion inhibitor with a pre-charged DCA-4 containing filter, usually yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back