Toyota Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate them! Made by Denso in Thailand. I've had oiling problems with them on MULTIPLE cars. Many others have had no problems. Id stick with wix or purolator.

Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
Anyone Know who makes the Toyota Filters ??
Are they as good as say a Purolator Pure One ??

Thank you in advance

Denso.

I've used many of the Denso (and cut open each and every filter) and they are good filters.

Here is one @ 7,500 miles;
toyota7500vh3.jpg

The Pureones are good filters too. I've used those too.

My 05 Corolla is like new @ 148k using quite a few filters (I've posted photos of them here) and the only brand so for with a "issue" was a Wix.

Here is the thread on the filter with photos showing the problem.

I'd use a Toyota or Pureone filter with no worries.

Bill

They are excellent and I have used them a lot on different cars. I even ordered the Japan version Denso online for $8. Those have a unique construction. If search for Denso they are available in the US, with silicone adbv. For some reason Toyota stays with the black adbv on the dealer stock. Denso makes top quality stuff. That said I am leaning toward the USA made Bosch for my application as it appears to be a Pureone, and is a little cheaper here, only because it is made in USA though.

Denso are average, the PureOne would be better IMO.

The japan-made sponge ones are interesting, but I haven't seen them available at dealers here.

McGeorge Toyota sells Japan ones for $10 now online, fits many 4cyl. I paid $8 not so long ago, plus $10 shipping for 12 filters, so it came out OK with no tax.

Another good option is the Motorcraft fl400s which can replace Toy 90915 YZZD1. It is longer though, and has base end adbv. These are under $4 at my WM.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
McGeorge Toyota sells Japan ones for $10 now online, fits many 4cyl. I paid $8 not so long ago, plus $10 shipping for 12 filters, so it came out OK with no tax.
These are good depth media filters and same as OE on the car - the toyota dealer service filters are not OE equivalent. I have purchsed JAPOn Denso from McGeorge too - I think pn90915-1004/3 but I had dealer do OCIs and they put on the Thailand denso and used Genuine Toyota Oil(?). Rav4 Engine was DEAD at 57K miles, clattering and burning oil. Something wrong here! My yaris engine will not run on the Thai denso filters either. But many think I have a TC tensioner problem. HAD tc tensioner problems on ALL my cars! Next car - no chain! I wish I had the LAB equipment to study the Thai denso filter to PROVE what is the issue with it.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
You can buy the better TRD filters from some toyota dealers for aroun $8.
Just K&N which is champ labs. Better than the Thailand Denso's though!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
BUBBA0420 said:

Bill
The UOA particle count and pressure differential tests are most all that matters in filter performance, looking at a dirty cut open filter that has no obvious defects tell you nothing about its performance. Ive cut open a few store brands, like Federated by Clarecore and after seeing the undersized and poorly pleated media - said no way! Gee, did I just contradict myself? Well, I cut open "unknowns" before using them - not messy ones AFTER using them.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
BUBBA0420 said:

Bill
The UOA particle count and pressure differential tests are most all that matters in filter performance, looking at a dirty cut open filter that has no obvious defects tell you nothing about its performance. Ive cut open a few store brands, like Federated by Clarecore and after seeing the undersized and poorly pleated media - said no way! Gee, did I just contradict myself? Well, I cut open "unknowns" before using them - not messy ones AFTER using them.

Yeah, all those hundreds of THOUSANDS to MILLIONS of engines using the inferior Toyota filter are clogging up the road ways and internet proving what you are saying.

Interesting that its only YOU having problems with the same products that everyone else has NO PROBLEMS using day in day out for millions of miles.

I think that PROVES something....

Bill

PS: I cut open each and every filter AFTER because that SHOWS how a filter worked. Cutting open something new shows only one thing.

How it is built. How it PERFORMS is more important.

I thought they looked familiar.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
You can buy the better TRD filters from some toyota dealers for aroun $8.
Just K&N which is champ labs. Better than the Thailand Denso's though!

Last edited:

The UOA particle count and pressure differential tests are most all that matters in filter performance

OK then, can we see them for Toyota vs. filters you prefer for some proof???
coffee2.gif

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/trd_filters/index.html
Six years old, but shows there are differences in TRD filters. The Japan ones are much different than the white can ones, and more expensive. The Lexus link goes to the stock Japan filter, a strange looking media, very thick with only a few pleats. Those are like the ones I bought online. Lots of good pics, saves others time redoing. It looks like TRDs do exactly what they say, protect engines in racing, but likely flow is maximized over filtration. I try to run my engines as slow and economically a possible, the standard ones are probably adequate.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

The UOA particle count and pressure differential tests are most all that matters in filter performance

coffee2.gif

SOrry , not equiped. But I wont show you a meaningless pic of a used cut open filter.

BUBBA0420 said:

Bill

Yeah, all those hundreds of THOUSANDS to MILLIONS of engines using the inferior Toyota filter are clogging up the road ways and internet proving what you are saying.

Interesting that its only YOU having problems with the same products that everyone else has NO PROBLEMS using day in day out for millions of miles.

I think that PROVES something....

Bill

PS: I cut open each and every filter AFTER because that SHOWS how a filter worked. Cutting open something new shows only one thing.

How it is built. How it PERFORMS is more important.
Again you set up a straw man argument for which you have NO DATA. I have my own data point = PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I suppose I should IGNORE THAT and do what countless, non-thinking lemmings do.

Last edited:
My bosses 5m Camry died with under 60K miles on regular OCI with valvoline syn blend. Sludged and burning oil. Three data points in 5 years in my small circle. I would start "worrying" about your toyota motor.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

coffee2.gif

SOrry , not equiped. But I wont show you a meaningless pic of a used cut open filter.

But you will make statements that have NO fact!

I agree you are not equipped...
33.gif

Again you set up a straw man argument for which you have NO DATA. I have my own data point = PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I suppose I should IGNORE THAT and do what countless, non-thinking lemmings do.

The data IS that EVERY Toyota dealer uses TOYOTA filters (made by denso) and I'd love to see all the DEAD engines out there.

I guess all those dead engines are hurting Toyota's rep for having engines that LAST and LAST.
crackmeup2.gif

My bosses 5m Camry died with under 60K miles on regular OCI with valvoline syn blend. Sludged and burning oil. Three data points in 5 years in my small circle. I would start "worrying" about your toyota motor.

I think your "small circle" needs to learn how to operate and maintain engines if what you are stating here actually happens.

But coming here and stating as FACT that Toyota oil and filters are junk is simply NOT TRUE!

That is a FACT.

Take care, Bill

PS: My Toyota motor has outlasted both yours and the bosses motors put together. Maybe you should learn something since its obvious I'm doing something correct...

Honestly, when is ArcoGraphite going to realize that Toyota the second highest volume manufacturer of passenger cars in the US. They would not have attained the reputation, longevity, or sales from putting finicky, high degree of maintenance engines in their cars with low quality oil filters and poorly designed timing belt tensioners installed. Millions of 100k Toyota 4 cylinders are on the road that run equal (if not lesser) quality oil filters to the OEM Densos (or the OEM themselves) with what ever is on sale dino oil and have no problems.

When are you going to start the lemon law proceedings on your Yaris and stop preaching that the Yaris/Corolla/xA/xB/tC etc require $10/qt group 5 racing oil and $12 oil filters to even operate properly.

Toyota has a RECENT HISTORY of making engines that SLUDGE and EXPIRE with recommended maintenance. MAybe TOYOTA needs to learn something? My Yaris is running GREAT with Castrol Syntec and Wix filter. Runs POOR with toyota filters and Genuine Toyota oil. PERIOD. FACT. MY life experience NOT YOURS. I am a Master engine tech and a degreed Mechanical engineer with over 25 years experience designing and manufacturing automotive and military components. It just took me a while to come to understand what you are in denial of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back