Mineral Oil Question 4 00 Diesel Benz

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend hada 00 Diesal Benz with 140k miles on it..He only takes it to the dealer for service..He bought it brand new..The other day he went to a private garage who said he does not use mineral oil in Diesals..He was about 30 bucks cheaper then the dealer..I told him to take it back to the dealer and keep using the oil the dealer puts in..Thats what he did.

Does he really need mineral oil?..I know nothing about diesal engines.

He does mostly local driving but once a week does a 100 mile round trip of highway driving.

Thanks in advance.

BTW the car runs great with no issues what so ever.

From a statistical standpoint, good independent mechanics provide better service at lower prices than a dealer, where everyone from the service writer, service manager, mechanic, office staff, and dealership owner all get a cut. Additionally, how often can you actually talk to the actual person who worked on your car at a dealer?

So, I would not dismiss an indy mechanic simply because he prefers synthetic oil. altho, in the name of customer service, he should use whatever oil the customer wants.

NOT use a mineral oil? You mean use syn oil?

Not a bad idea. In a 00, a 15w-40 HDEO or 5w-40 syn HDEO would both do well.

While API CF is all that is necessary for most MB diesels (without emissions equipment), one that holds an MB 228.x spec (HD diesel engines), or a later API CJ or similar diesel spec work excellently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back