ZDDP and German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More stupid questions about German Castrol...
What kind of ZDDP level does GC have?
And an even more stupid question...
Can ZDDP be bought as a seperate additive so someone can put whatever amount of ZDDP in the crankcase that they want?

GC has SL levels of ZDDP. You can buy ZDDP additives for engine oil, but you have to be careful toying with the levels of chemicals in the oil. You can usually find them marketed as "Cam Break-In" additives.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
More stupid questions about German Castrol...
What kind of ZDDP level does GC have?
And an even more stupid question...
Can ZDDP be bought as a seperate additive so someone can put whatever amount of ZDDP in the crankcase that they want?

High levels of ZDDP in your CC will cause catastrophic part failure - cam chunking etc. Leave the formulating to the oil manufacturer.

I found a VOA on GC posted a little over a year ago on this site that showed Zinc level at 1160. I recently had a Blackstone UOA done on GC after 6000 miles in my BMW and Zinc was measured at 990 against a Blackstone universal average of 961.

My latest UOA after 5700 miles (done by Wearcheck) showed 823 ppm of Zinc.

I did use some LC20 during that interval though - not sure if that had any effect on Zinc level.

However, the two previous UOAs (from 2007 and 2008) showed Zinc at around 1060-1080 ppm. But this was analyzed by Dyson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back