08 Honda Odyssey Running on 1 quart!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had "check engine- D=11" light go off coming home on Sunday night. Took it to the dealer on Wed. The Van has 30K on it.

After waiting about an hour the service advisor informed me that the cause was the code: 3497, Valve pause system system stuck off.

He said that there was no oil on the dipstick.

I told him that I change the oil about 3500 miles ago. I was invited into the service area and watch the mechanic drain 1 quart from the engine. 1 quart! The filter on these is very small, so add another 1/2 quart, with a little bit more in the pan.

There was no leaks. My garage floor is white and clean.

I told them to change the oil. and reset the check engine light. I now have to pay for the diagnostic check, 65.00, no warranty service for the 1 quart guy.

I had a meeting with the Service manager and laid out 3 possible scenarios .

1. I went to Autozone bought 1 quart of snth blend and a filter and went home drained the oil and installed a new filer adding 1 quart.

2. I went to AZ and bought 5 quarts + filter and only put one quart in leaving 4 on the shelf.

3. Bought the proper amount and did a complete oil change.

Now there is no way that I just put one quart in that van when I did the change. I explained that I just restocked my shelf in my garage with 5 quarts and a filter and was preparing to do a change this week. There is not 4 quarts from the past change sitting there. I KNOW FOR A FACT that I put the 4.5 quarts in the car and checked the level before my wife left for FL. a couple of months ago. There is no possible error on my part.

They still had this look on their faces that the Van does not have a problem and the error was mine. That is insane.

I have spoken to a Honda ace and he said that these engines do not burn oil with blue smoke and noticeable smells as engines in the past have done. I asked these guys to put a seal on the plug and the filter to make the next draining in their shop without suspicion. They could not do that.

What do you guys think here? The oil pressure lights never came on. The Check engine light just appeared on Sunday.

I can't stand having anyone think that I would run an 08 Honda Odyssey on 1 quart during hot NC summer. But that is their conclusion.

Last edited:
Paperwork dating the purchase of the oil? Did you write down when you changed the oil last? Or even better, take a picture?

Check the dipstick weekly, and if it's burning it off quickly, take it to a different dealership and play dumb.

Not making a judgement here...especially since people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...but a check on the oil level now and then could have prevented this. I'd call it a lesson learned.

When the oil was changed they didn't put enough oil in it..I have seen this over and over again.

Bottom line Never Leave the dealer or anywhere else before checking your oil!

Sounds strange. Any past oil consumption amounts to be considered? Obviously if you did check the level as you claim you did, you only did it the one time. That in itself isn't good enough.

Having the shop suspect you are responsible for the situation is hardly "insane", I can easily understand their position.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
When the oil was changed they didn't put enough oil in it..I have seen this over and over again.

He says he changed his own oil.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

I thought that OP changes his own oil.

Anyway, I would monitor the oil level closley, check once a week, and hope that you don't have any engine troubles.
Your event is now logged in Hondas system, so any warranty claim against the engine will have grounds for denial as you ran the oil too low.

On positive side, if the oil light did not come on, that means there was enough oil pressure and no damage occured.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you didn't you check the oil dip stick before going to the stealership? Or anything else in the the car. 1 quart sounds fishy to me. The engine light would have came on long before that you got down to 1 quart.

Last edited:
Checking oil in a new car was not a routine for me. It is now.

The car never ran hot, never made any noise, it ran perfectly.

I will be on this every few days. I didn't check any levels before going to the dealer. I do have the receipt for that purchase of oil from Autozone.

I am glad that it was me that changed the oil and not a jiffy lube. That rules out any doubts. I know that I do my Oil changes by the book.

I have run cars over 250,000K so I am not a car abuser.

I should have checked the oil yes, but I have been checking the coolant due to the high temps. That is always at the mark.

Who would have thought that a new Honda would "burn" oil?

Unless I am being scammed....

Last edited:
"Having the shop suspect you are responsible for the situation is hardly "insane", I can easily understand their position."

Yea I changed the oil and put one quart in.... Please

Remember this car is burning up 3 1/2 quarts in 3500 miles, it has a pretty serious problem. Or I am being scammed.

Last edited:
Of course I believe that you changed the oil and left it full. Regardless of any excessive consumption, it would not suprise me if this is now "your baby". Hopefully not, but I would expect them to now argue that you are respnsible for maintaining the oil level, and any damage to the engine is due to the low oil level (I know, circular logic) and is not their responsibility.

Let me rephrase: Obviously something highly unusual happened to your Honda and it consumed a qt of oil every 1000 miles. I know, should not happen on a Honda with 30k. No argument. But I totally expect the dealer to hold a position that you are responsible for maintaining the oil level and that any subsequent damage is your responsibility.

maintain a watch on the oil level and if you find excessive consumption, you may be better off going to a new dealer, not mentioning this episode, and going from there. of course, they probably use a central computer for tracking your records....

Where was the oil indicator? They gave me a song and dance as to why it did not light.

It is a lease, so as long as this puppy runs and has no issues in the next year and a half, I am done.

Thanks for the reply's folks

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I'm guessing you didn't you check the oil dip stick before going to the stealership? Or anything else in the the car. 1 quart sounds fishy to me. The engine light would have came on long before that you got down to 1 quart.
I have seen cars that burn or leak quite a bit of oil, and it sometimes takes a lot of oil loss before that oil light will pop on.

You never checked the oil for a couple of months? Whenever I change oil, I start the car, look under the car for any oil dripping. If none, I drive. I check my oil every other week since I only drive 100 miles a week. Might as well check the oil since I'm checking everything else out.

A new car isn't an excuse to me, when my 06 vibe was new, I checked it constantly because if there were any problems, I wanted the dealer to fix it under the warranty. I bet you didn't tighten the oil filter enough and the oil dripped out.

Quote:
A new car isn't an excuse to me, when my 06 vibe was new, I checked it constantly because if there were any problems, I wanted the dealer to fix it under the warranty. I bet you didn't tighten the oil filter enough and the oil dripped out.

+1

And manufacturers usually have a little statement, that the oil level should be checked at every fill up, in the owner's manual, so if they don't detect any leaks and the oil just burned off for whatever reason, they still can deny warranty for negligence.

I checked the oil level at leats once a month from day one, and eventhough I know my car doesn't consume oil, as the level is always the same throughout the OCI, I still do. It's a habbit I picked up when I was driving old beaters.

Last edited:
Trainwrecker, I also own a 2008 Odyssey. If it's any consolation, I have heard of some late model Honda Ody 3.5's consuming some oil depending on their conditions and how they are used. You do LOTS of driving given the 30Kmi on the ticker. You really should have checked your oil level PRIOR to visiting a dealer, especially if they documented it's been run low on oil. All you could do now is carefully monitor your oil level and bring it to another Honda dealer if the usage continues. You might be able to get another dealer to do an oil consumption test and make a determination from there.

Joel

Last edited:
My 02 Accord came up with a similar issue last month. I've changed the oil in this car since day one, and it takes exactly 5 quarts with new filter. Got to the point that I'd change the filter, dump 5 quarts of M1EP in it, and done. Wouldn't even bother checking the oil level. Well, last month and with all the miles on it (199K), something told me to check the oil. It's my wifes car. For the first time EVER, it was freakin' two quarts low. This hasn't ever happened. I asked my wife if she'd ever seen the oil light or check engine light come on, she said no and I'm usually the first one she calls when something is wrong with the car. On the Accord forums, there are members that have complained about the V6 Accords eating oil, but like you, they don't know where it's going. Just keep checking it more often and thank the big dude upstairs that the engine is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back