Gold vs. Green German Castrol... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Can someone tell me if there is a difference in the performance between the old green colored GC and the new gold colored GC? Has anyone done any oil change analysis comparisons? How about virgin analysis comparing? Is the gold stuff identical to the green with the exception of a green dye? Or have other important things changed?
Any info on this mysterious subject would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
Hello,
Can someone tell me if there is a difference in the performance between the old green colored GC and the new gold colored GC? Has anyone done any oil change analysis comparisons? How about virgin analysis comparing? Is the gold stuff identical to the green with the exception of a green dye? Or have other important things changed?
Any info on this mysterious subject would be much appreciated.

It is not identical. Additive package is different. It is unknown if the base chemistry is different or not - that's not something a $25 virgin oil analysis can determine.

Judging by the used oil analysis though, performance of gold GC has been just as good as green GC.

I used the gold and wasn't impressed. Had all kinds of startup noise and consumption. I just put in some green GC a couple of days ago and haven't had the same issues. My car seems to really like it. I may give the gold a try again after this but I wish they still made the green.

Last edited:
I got into GC in my BMW only after green was being phased out.

I only ever found enough green to do one OCI after a year of scrounging.

For what it's worth, there wasn't any noticeable difference, and my gold GC UOAs are fantastic.

I just put 5 quarts of gold GC in my Super Coupe and I'll see how it does. I looked at Autozone the last time I was there and they had like 2 very dusty bottles of the green stuff and the rest was gold. If they had more than 2 I would have bought it, but I would feel wrong mixing 2 quarts of green with 3 quarts of gold lol.

Originally Posted By: lanteau
... but I would feel wrong mixing 2 quarts of green with 3 quarts of gold lol.

Why?... Its all goood stuff. :)

I found a bottle of the green. Bought it and compared it to a new bottle of Gold. The green seems like it might be a bit thicker and more "clingy." But it is a 5 year old bottle of green. Would that make a difference?

I found a bottle of the green. Bought it and compared it to a new bottle of Gold. The green seems like it might be a bit thicker and more "clingy." But it is a 5 year old bottle of green. Would that make a difference?

I think you guys worry about it too much,just run it.

...But it is a 5 year old bottle of green. Would that make a difference?

Nicely aged !! I'm sure the engine will love the refined taste of the aged nectar!

Seriously, though I don't think it makes any difference at all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back