2.8L Diesel Jeep Liberty - rotella 5W-40 ...O.K. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 80K miles on my Liberty Diesel. I've used only Mobil 1 0W-40 up til now, but grudgingly, because that's the only brand that carries this wieght. The manual says 5W-40 is the 2nd choice. I found two (1) gallon jugs on Rotella 5W-40 synthetic at Wally World for $11 each . . . . no harm?

Rotella 5W-40 synthetic is $19 per gallon at Walmarts round here (I bought 2 gallons yesterday). The Dino 15W-40 is $11 per gallon.

Last edited:
I've got a 06 with 59k. RTS is a great deal. I'd do 7k no problem on rts without thinking about it. However i think i had elevated consumption on rts vs TDT. If RTS was 11 bucks i'd be using it, however. I am currently extending my oci's on TDT and i'm up to 9k, going for 10k

m1 0-40 is widely known to shear to a 30 weight oil within a few thousand miles... would you run a w30 in a turbo diesel?

I have seen it mentioned repeatedly here, and in other forums. Is this incorrect?

How well can that 0-40 handle high soot loads?

Why wonder? Use a rated diesel oil that has repetitive proven itself. There are many excellent hdeo's, why not use one.

Originally Posted By: TrentMiller
m1 0-40 is widely known to shear to a 30 weight oil within a few thousand miles... would you run a w30 in a turbo diesel?

I have seen it mentioned repeatedly here, and in other forums. Is this incorrect?

How well can that 0-40 handle high soot loads?

Why wonder? Use a rated diesel oil that has repetitive proven itself. There are many excellent hdeo's, why not use one.
Or if you're still under warranty-use the MB rated oil that Chrysler recommends-which includes Mobil 1 & others (believe the spec is 228.5). IMHO Mobil 1 5W40 ESP is probably the best & easiest to find of the recommended oils.

Your Liberty CRD calls for a Chrysler spec MS 10725 and it looks like Rotella and I'm guessing it's actually a better fit than the 0w-40 Mobil due to probably having a little higher zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back