Jeep Patriot 2 litre diesel - oil for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mate's daughter just bought a 2007.

Apparently it's got a VW turbodiesel in it .

Manual calls for A3/B3, A3/B4, A3/B4/C3, and viscosity 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, 10W-40, and 15W-40.

Dealer has told him that it needs VW 505.01

C3 is a "special" diesel oil for the DPF.

The Sonata Diesel also needs it. only a select few sell it.

I am not sure about the 505.01. it may be right. maybe 507 is the correct one for the DPF?

It is most likely the same motor in the Passat TDI just with a DPF.

So 505.01 would be appropriate for the engine but I am not sure about the DPF. It would have to be a low-saps oil.

Had to have the daughter's Taurus towed last night. While the guy was writing out the bill, I was looking at the door. There were two stickers on it. One was surely written by Captain Obvious. RIDING CLUTCH WILL CAUSE PREMATURE WEAR.

The other one was the about the indications and procedure to "regenerate" the particulate filter system. I can't recall all the details but it required some switch to be thrown, and then leaving the vehicle sit (presumed running) for up to 20 minutes until it indicates that the regen cycle is complete.

I thought that there was something very wrong with this picture in seeking to clean things up.

Gary, the original particulate filters progressively clogged, and the driver would, as time went by, increase the throttle opening for a given speed.

That increased the temperature before the filter (albeit at higher fuel burn) until it lit off and burned off.

Ya more fuel is required to be injected into the exhaust to burn-off the particulates.

It can be done by the actual driver with a switch like that or completely automatic with readings from pressure sensors & such.

One way is to inject raw diesel right before the DPF and the other is to have the ECU inject diesel on the exhaust stroke from the injectors.

I would have a look at RTS 5W40 or M1 0W40 both are good oils. If I knew where "a prison island" was and what their average weather is like I might even go with a 15W40 if it warm during the oil change interval or warm year round!

JohnBrowning, Australia, in the Bathurst area.

-5 (rarely) on a winter's day, up to 41C (reasonably common) in Summer.

Looks like they've picked Castrol Edge 0W-40, due to it's availability, and 2/3 the cost of M1.

Castrol Edge is not not recommended for that engine going byt he lube tool on castrols website. the use SLX professional III and mentions VW 507 spec. yes it's dear but i would only put the best in a diesel .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back