Designing the Dodge Neon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have a 97 Neon. It’s the SOHC version so no head gasket leaks. At 160k it leaks oil at a rate of 1-to-2 qts. per 3k OCI (looks like oil pan gasket). Also, the paint is falling off like there’s no tomorrow. Other than that, the car always starts, runs reasonably well, and gets us from points A to B.

Can’t say its best car ever built, but in many areas it’s met the objectives of moderately reliable/economical transportation.

My son has a 96 SOHC 2.0 auto. Loves the thing. The exterior is hammered ..but the mechanicals are sound. He did have to get a head gasket, but that was @ 160k. It's a really nibble car and doesn't seem to make you pay large for the convenience of an automatic in the power end of things.

I bought one new in 2004. It has the H/O engine, manual trans, performance suspension/ steering and 4 wheel discs w/ abs. It's a fun little car to beat on. Today it has 140k miles on it and has never had any problems ever. Everything works, it gets 33mpg all the time on E10 and uses only 1/2 quart of oil in 10k miles. I don't know, it seems like Chrysler got things right on the last Neons, well this one anyway.

Despite any positives the Neon had, I still find myself wishing that they had moved forward with the Shadow / Sundance twins. Were they killed due to Chrysler's desire to finally be rid of anything related to the letter "K" or is it because of the termination of their relationship with Mitsubishi? (although I don't think 4-cylinder Shadows / Sundances had any Mitsubishi content).

A 93 Sundance was the best car I've owned to date and felt they could have evolved it into a platform that would've carried through the 90's. I was never a Neon fan, and then I drove one - which cemented my opinion.

I agree that Neon's were a good car from a reliability/value standpoint. However, I've never liked them, and never really thought about buying one. Mainly, I just don't like the seating postion or inside layout on them. Each to his own.

I have a co-worker that is a big Dodge/Chrylser fan. DD is a Neon, and his wife has one, too. Both have well over 200k miles, and deliver great mileage.

No bad Neon memories here. I've owned 3, 2 were pure beaters for work. My last was a 1998 R/T bought new that may have been one of the best ever made.

example: 2400 mile trip all summer with the car loaded to the brim. All over the mountains and stuff, lots of high speed cruising (80+)and average mpg was 36!!! Car was stolen at 80k.

No other car gets the handling so right in a 'wrong wheel drive' configuration.

It made me a bit mad that the headgasket problem was predicted but they still went ahead with the cheaper gasket...
I inherited my 95 from my grandfather who was a mopar man, this one was 9386th one made in Jan. 94 and it was the only new car he could afford.
I always heard they were junk too but after owning it and doing some reading I think its a decently made car and is good fun to drive. To really wake up the handling I've added abit of front camber and the rear 16mm swaybar from the sport package. With that setup when I hit the on/off ramps I can feel the car load up the back tire as well so its much closer to neutral than stock.
My sister in law has borrowed it a couple times when she's in town and was impressed with it too(she is a honda owner/fan). She also did her first autocross in it and was happy to beat a 240sx, 2005 mustang and a 99 civic si.
2009_07_12-CASC-OREvent3_3631-web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back