Proper way to dispose of old gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just cleaned out a boat fuel tank that had some 10+ year old [censored] inside. I then added some clean gas and swished it around a few times and then pumped it out. Total is about 1/2 gallon and 80% is the new gas. What do I do with this that is considered correct today?

1. Dump it in the bush?
2. Mix in with used motor oil?
3. let in evaporate in open air?
4. try to filter it clean and use in Lawnmower? (I don't hink so)
5. start a campfire with it?

Any other option???

Last edited:
I would go with either #5 or #4, except I would use it in a car instead of the lawnmower. You can add about 1 gallon or so to a full tank of gas in a car, and it would be so diluted with fresh gas, it probably wouldn't do anything. I definitely wouldn't let it evaporate, that's almost as bad as dumping it on the ground. When it evaporates, it's nothing but hydrocarbons in the air. That's the exact junk that catalytic converters were made to eliminate.

i hear Gasoline makes a good weed killer but be careful nobody throughs a match or is smoking around the general area for at least 30 minutes
of course old gasoline makes a good parts cleaner also

I would be guilty of using really old gasoline to kill a massive amount of ants. (They liked the crack along the end of our driveway. Not exaggerating, there must have been a million or more red ants crawling along our driveway end. No bug killer in sight, water only slowed them down. Had some really really old gas, and drizzled it on them. Dead, very fast. I feel bad now, but it really was disgusting, and I was afraid my bro or sis (who go outside barefoot) would get, um.. Well, you know. Don't tell Al Gore!
45.gif

I thought of re-using it, but this stuff was 10-15 years old and full of micro rust. Each flush of the tank took out more micro rust. I have used coffee filter in a funnel to filter old gas before, but is it worth risking damage to fuel injectors for 75 cents worth of gas? Lawnmower maybe...

I have encountered a similar situation at work, I have aproximatly 200 gasoline powered boats (not including the 400 deisel powered boats) that I store and maintain. One of the things I havet to do is de-fuel the tanks and fuel bowls and preserve the engines for long term storage.
Waste gasoline is classified by the EPA as a hazardous waste primarily due to flamibility. The "proper" way is to pay a whole lot of money for someone to pick it up and dispose of it, usually by incineratio. By law you have to have special endorsments to transport hazardous waste, (ironically the fresh gas in your gas tank requires no special endorsments). I work for the government and being a steward of the taxpayers dollar I can't see wasting our money like that. We double filter the used gas and add it to our forklifts and small equipment like gensets, air compressors and chain saws. We have even used it in our work vechicles with no problems. We try to use a 3:1 or 4:1 mix of fresh gas with old and add a fuel stabilizer (it's mostly ethanol). Every now and then something might run a little rough and in that case we drain it out and add a little more fresh gas.

So long story short, filter it, drain any water off the bottom and use it in your lawn mower just cut it down with some fresh gas first and add a little fuel stabilizer. DO NOT pour it on the ground!

Shouldn't a coffee filter or paper towel be enough to fiter the solids? I would try to use it in your vehicle or lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I would be guilty of using really old gasoline to kill a massive amount of ants. (They liked the crack along the end of our driveway. Not exaggerating, there must have been a million or more red ants crawling along our driveway end. No bug killer in sight, water only slowed them down. Had some really really old gas, and drizzled it on them. Dead, very fast. I feel bad now, but it really was disgusting, and I was afraid my bro or sis (who go outside barefoot) would get, um.. Well, you know. Don't tell Al Gore!
45.gif

Works good on wasps that live in the ground as well. I would say it is less toxic to the enviroment than some ant poisons.

#2 or #5. Just watch your eyebrows!
Seriously, though, don't try to reuse gas that old. It will just cause more headaches. Just dump it in with your used oil and dispose of it, or maybe it can be disposed of with old paints/solvents?

Dont put it in with old motor oil, if you do dont bring it to the recycler because they dont want it. AAP local wont take oil anymore because some a$$hat mixed gas in.

Just let it evaporate. It isnt going to hurt anything.

If you have a charcoal BBQ grill, you could save it to use (very sparingly, of course) as lighter fluid.

Our municipal dump will take hazardous materials twice a year for no charge for safe disposal. Maybe your area has a similar program.

Whimsey

Put it through a coffee filter 3 times...mix 50-50 with new gas and in the mower it goes. Better have the boat tank cleaned or you are in for trouble.

I had about 20 gallons of old gas after decommissioning an underground tank. I just pumped it into 5 gallon steel buckets and lit it on fire. It won't explode - just don't knock it over.

The surface of the gas burns but it's nowhere near as spectacular as you think. I think they all burned out in about and hour or so.

I'd only re-use clean old gas if blended with plenty of new gas but I'd never re-use dirty old gas.

If you burn it off don't tell your insurance agent and keep the women and children away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back