Alternative for Motorex 10W60 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Not a car..but if any site on the net can help me find an answer, it will be this one! :) My new bike is specified to take this oil...Motorex Crosspower 10W60. FWIW, they are the OEM oil manufacturer for KTM, so that's the reason it's specified for my bike. But at $22 per litre, it's a bit expensive. Of course, the dealer says that this oil MUST be used in the bike, which I find to be complete [censored].

The only thing that gives me pause is the bike is equipped with a slipper clutch. I'm hoping some of the oil gurus here can point me in the direction of a comparable oil that I can use that is at least as high a quality. Synthetic is a must, and I suppose that it should also meet/exceed the JASO MA / API SG specification.

Oil description is here: http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=63

Here's a blurb on why they made this oil:

"The newly developed KTM LC4 654 cc single-cylinder engine made its debut in 2007 as the brand new KTM 690 SM. The LC4 is a born-and-bred high-performance engine. Due to its specific power output, its high engine speed, the wet-sump APTC-anti-hopping clutch as well as the twin oil pumps it sets high standards for its lubricant. Developed in co-operation with the Austrian motorcycle maker, the Swiss lubricant manufacturer MOTOREX has fulfilled these standards by developing the new Cross Power 4T 10W/60, whose composition and molecular structure perfectly match the technical factors. The engineers have tailored the new, fully synthetic premium oil entirely to the protection of the coatings inside the engine."

Are there any other 10W-60 oils that meet JASO MA?

I personally would use the oil in question and try to find it at the cheapest price. I'm not aware of any similar alternatives. There are automobile 10W-60 oils but they aren't optimized for motorcycles.

How many litres does the sump hold?

I share your frustration, but if 10w60 is required, any motorcycle specific oils of that grade that you find (what few there are) are going to be just as expensive. I think I'd bite the bullet and just use the recommended oil. If 10w60 is not a mandatory weight, then Mobil 1 10w40 for motorcycles may be an option.

I might've missed it, but which KTM LC4 equipped bike did you get? The KTM blurb mentions the SM, but did you get the SM, SMC, Duke, 690E ?

I have the Duke.

As far as the Motul 7100 4T in 10W60..it doesn't show up in the US catalogs. But I do see it for Europe...

Originally Posted By: RRocket
I have the Duke.

Nice choice
cool.gif

you can get the elf 10w-60 for about $7 a liter at world impex (VW parts dealer). figure in shipping and it jumps to about $9 per liter.

ELF SPORT4 CAMPIONE 10W60 100%PAO (API SG ,JASO MA)$7.99/LTR AT Worldimpex.com

Also AGIP RACING 4T 10W60 Ester based oil OEM recommended for Aprilia,Moto-guzzi,MV Agusta and Husqvarna
$125.00/case of 12 at Gearitalia.com

I looked at a KTM dual purpose bike a few years ago when I was shopping for one. The two oil pumps, multiple filters, and three to four hours to do an oil change put me off. I settled for a much less impressive but certainly capable Kawasaki KLR650. It's not nearly as sophisticated nor sexy but I can change the oil and single oil filter in ten minutes. It runs well on Rotella T and burns any cat p!ss I can find for fuel.

With the additional knowledge of ridiculously priced specialized oil, I'm more than ever satisfied with my choice. There is something to be said about simplicity, reliability and economical transportation....

Well the oil change for the new LC4 motors can be done in 15 minutes. This subject has been discussed on this forum a year or so ago. Sobiloff had the first fill oil analyzed in his 690e
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1179563#Post1179563

and the recommended Motorex oil
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1189269#Post1189269

The analysis shows unusual formulation (my guess it has something to do with the paper coatings on the Adler Power Torque Clutch), but the oil viscosity doesn't seem to achieve 60 weight.

I have a 690e and so far I'm sticking with the Motorex (pricey) for oil changes every 3000 miles (1.7 liters).

Did KTM make some changes to their lubrication systems that reduced the amount of time to change the oil? I read that quite a bit of body plastics have to be removed just to get at the filters. That may have been the V twin KTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back