Interesting comment by Mobil on its 5w30 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Quote:

Question:
Is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 an Ester Oil?
Is Ester oil the same as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 synthetic motor oil? Can I buy this at retail instead of only at Nissan dealerships for my 2009 Nissan Maxima?
-- Howard Shapiro, New City, NY

Answer:
The lubricant recommended for this application is a 5W-30 API certified engine oil but because Nissan has preference for an Ester Oil it appears they are supportive of higher quality synthetic type products for these applications. We recommend you use Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 for these applications.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot..._Ester_Oil.aspx

Very interesting commentary... maybe not written the right way, or maybe trying to imply certain things to maintain sales of the mainline products.

We do know that the ESP is made in Europe (and it is sold in 1L containers, not 1qt. containers), and thus ought to fit the bill of a true European synthetic oil (i.e. non-group III for all those folks who love to make claims about M1 containing group III and being worse for it). Yet mobil is making the claim for whatever reason that the standard 5w-30 and EP 5w-30 are "better", and more suited for the requirements of the Nissan 5w-30 ester oil spec.

So does the 2009 Maxima call out that a syn needs to be used in the manual?

What is the OCI?

Bill

I think regular M1 5w30 and EP are more suitable for the Nissan engine. The ESP oil is more of a specialty type oil.

Missed the point. Nissan sells their ester 5w-30 as a specialty oil and the only thing seemingly suitable for certain engines. The fact that the guy has a maxima is somewhat irrelevant, likely he thinks the Nissan l is the end all, be all.

The key takeaway was how mobil infers that their ACEA A1 standard 5w-30 oils are better suited and better than the more robust A3 ESP 5w-30.

I'd highly doubt that an acea a1 oil would outperform an a3 oil in an application calling for a specialty oil. Keep in mind that the ester oil is really for GT-R type cars.

Don't know if mobil was confused since the guy only has a maxima, or if they do not actually know their oils... Nissan ester 5w-30 s a specialty product.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Quote:

Question:
Is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 an Ester Oil?
Is Ester oil the same as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 synthetic motor oil? Can I buy this at retail instead of only at Nissan dealerships for my 2009 Nissan Maxima?
-- Howard Shapiro, New City, NY

Answer:
The lubricant recommended for this application is a 5W-30 API certified engine oil but because Nissan has preference for an Ester Oil it appears they are supportive of higher quality synthetic type products for these applications. We recommend you use Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 for these applications.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot..._Ester_Oil.aspx

Very interesting commentary... maybe not written the right way, or maybe trying to imply certain things to maintain sales of the mainline products.

We do know that the ESP is made in Europe (and it is sold in 1L containers, not 1qt. containers), and thus ought to fit the bill of a true European synthetic oil (i.e. non-group III for all those folks who love to make claims about M1 containing group III and being worse for it). Yet mobil is making the claim for whatever reason that the standard 5w-30 and EP 5w-30 are "better", and more suited for the requirements of the Nissan 5w-30 ester oil spec.

I think you are right. I think the answer was phrased so as to suggest that the regular M1 5w30 would be perfectly satisfactory in his Nissan... that he should not search all over for the M1 ESP Formula 5w30 thinking it would be better than the other stuff in his particular application.

I think the above poster is right, that Mobil 1 5w-30 or 5w-30 EP are just fine for your car and that was what Mobil was trying to tell you. I would imagine they would like customers to keep buying their regular Mobil 1 or EP, instead of everybody looking for the ESP. From the specs on the product data sheet and from what info I have glean about ESP online, if I can find it local at a good price, I would choose the ESP. It think it could be a good alternative to the German Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back