Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M vs 0w40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercedes calls for OCI's at a fixed 10k in the US, which is very conservative compared to the service intervals in Europe (up to 20k). I would consider leaving the factory fill in for the full 10k because, at least on the MB models with this engine, a special Mobil 1 break-in oil is used (IIRC it is a 10w30).

We are now running the 5w40 Formula M at 10k intervals in both diesel MB's ('05 E cdi & '09 GL BLuetec).

opposite_locker said:
Mercedes calls for OCI's at a fixed 10k in the US, which is very conservative compared to the service intervals in Europe (up to 20k). I would consider leaving the factory fill in for the full 10k because, at least on the MB models with this engine, a special Mobil 1 break-in oil is used (IIRC it is a 10w30).

We are now running the 5w40 Formula M at 10k intervals in both diesel MB's ('05 E cdi & '09 GL BLuetec). [/quote

I think I will take your advice, thanks, It seems this engine (3.litre OM642) has different oil change schedules and oil viscosity's all around the world.
Jeep does not give an optional viscosity to use (5W-30)only, but the other (5W-40 Formula M)is used in other country's for this engine and would seem a better choice to use as you said.

You can probably save a few dollars and use Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40 and get the same results. Rotella-T 5W40 is the cheapest name brand synthetic that Walmart sells. I have seen BMW's run it and produce super low wear number's. I think the improved fuel economy is due to better ring sealing. A 0W40 only saves fuel during the intital warm up phase after that a 5W40 will almost always win. The M1 0W40 has been a favorite of mine in gentle and light weight vehicles even though is sheared badly it normally produced better wear numbers and had better oxidation resistance then M1's other common products like their 5W30 and 5W20 etc.... IN a car that actually calls for a 0W40 I find that 5W40's intended for true diesel applications almost always outperform the 0W40. I have heard that M1 has played around with the 0W40 formula while I have been away from BITOG so I might need to do some reading to get caught up on that but it used to have a really beefy add package when it first came onto the market which is why I liked it in small Japanese 4 cylinders calling for 5W30.I always thought that MB and BMW made a mistake going to 0W40 for the most part.

With the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 and Formula M 5w40 now available at Pep Boys for around $6.99-7.49 a quart/liter, it should be easier for all German car owners to find a great oil for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back