Oil recomendation for 97 Geo Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I might of posted this sometime in the past. Just to be sure I did a search and no results came up after several attemps. So either the search is acting funky again or I didn't post it ever.

Anyway, Tommorow I'm changing the oil on our 31K mile '97 Tracker. The Tracker sees alot of city stuff, short trip driving. Once in a while it is taken out on the highway for about 10 miles or so but it never goes on long road trips due lack of cruise control and it's geared way to low(numerically higher, 3800RPM@70mph in 5th gear) I'm going with M1 5w30, either EP or just regular M1 synthetic and a Bosch filter(or would a Federated filter be better?) The Tracker is on it's Auto-rx stage(not rinse phase) If some of you may have a better recommendation, I'm open. Thanks,,,,AR

run an AutoRx clean/rinse phase before you switch over to quality dino 10W30.for Winter, 5W30 should do you well.

Suzuki engines are very easy on oils but tends to experience condensations due to temperature variations. If varnish bothers you very much, consider using some LC in your oil.

HDEO should do fine.

as the performance differences between dinos and "so-called" synthetics narrows, there shouldn't be any reason why you cannot go with quality Group II ro Group-III dino blends and get best performance for the $$

hey quest what do you think about my tracker? its a 1999 2.0lt engine, and i have been running Amsoil 5w30 Series3000 oil in it with the amsoil filter. The engine has 74k on it,but has had amsoil in it since 40k miles. i bought it used. but since about 55-60K miles i have been using the series 3000 oil. Is this a good or bad thing, and whats your opinions on needing any cleaners in my engine..

chris

See that's the thing that bothers me. I would like to go with an HDEO oil for the rinse phase but about the only HDEO viscosities we have around here are 15w40 and SAE 30wt and both are too thick for the upcoming winter.

I'm sure if I tried a good quality dino and LC For rinse, I should be fine? AR

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
First off, I might of posted this sometime in the past......,AR

Just use Chevron Delo 15w-40. If you can't get it, use Castrol GTX 10w-40. As for oil filter, use the OEM Suzuki filter. It is made in Austria and is excellent. I have had many great UOA's with the combination described above.

arkainzeye-

YOur regime sound perfect! No worries on the 2.0L Suzukis for they are pretty easy on the oil.

As for all other Suzuki engine luvers out there, here's a tip to keep your engine in ship shape:

(1) because the way Suzuki designs their all aluminium block/head engine which tends to go through thermalcycle more frequently than that of a, say Honda (water jackets dissipates heat faster than that of a Honda designs), your thermostat will die sooner due to more frequent thermalcycling. Recommendation: regardless of your maintenance scheme, always consider replacing your thermostat every 2~3 years, 2 years for those that operates in colder climates, 3 if you are down way south. That way, your engine shall be able to run at it's optimum temp, resulting in less moisture, condensation and less tendency to jam up your oil ring packs.

(2) varnish is inevitable on the cylinder head side esp back when the engine calls for SG oils and older. RedLine or any other good sync oils with loads of PAO shall contains enough PAOs to perform the proper cleanliness of all oil passageways, ordinary folks who go with dino oils shall consider running some LC as a form of varnish cleaner and occasionally, run a dose of AutoRx as a form of deposit control.

These engines can go beyond 200,000kms so long as both (1) and (2) are observed.

P.S. HEDO with high moly should serve these engines fine too. I used to add molyslip into my Suzuki 3cyl engine before going on a highway trip and the engine simply luvs it.

oh and BTW: For Suzukis, always go with factory OE thermostats. I have tried 4 different domestic/imported aftermarket brands of thermostats, from some "off the shelf" to something that claims to design specifically for EFI engines (yeah right!)...none of them worked out as reliably as the factory ones. Costs may be 20% more but you are greeted with peace of mind.

This is esp. true for Mazda B3 and B6 blocks where their OE thermostat is a 2-stage, twin valve design.Replacing this unit with a non-factory replacement will give you some weird computer control readings..

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:

quote:

First off, I might of posted this sometime in the past......,AR

Just use Chevron Delo 15w-40. If you can't get it, use Castrol GTX 10w-40. As for oil filter, use the OEM Suzuki filter. It is made in Austria and is excellent. I have had many great UOA's with the combination described above.

Yea plenty of 15w40's in town but no one stocks a 5w40 of any brand and trust me, I have looked. ****, AZ quit selling M1 0w30. See I would use a 15w40 but with winter coming up????????/ AAHHHH I'm lost!!!!! AR

quote:

See that's the thing that bothers me. I would like to go with an HDEO oil for the rinse phase but about the only HDEO viscosities we have around here are 15w40 and SAE 30wt and both are too thick for the upcoming winter.

Why not run Rotella T 5w40 for the ARx rinse..the RT oil got too dark & dirty(a very good sign) after I ran it for the 1.5k rinse in my Passat 1.8T.

No Rotella T 5w40 or any 5w40's in town either. I can run Rotella but it's either 15w40 or SAE 30wt. I think I'll just run a good PCMO oil, then switch to M1 5w30,,,,AR

quote:

Don't they specify using Castrol GTX for the rinse?

How much is cost/outlay a factor, AR? Surely there is a lubrication distributor somewhere nearby. They can order you 10w-30 HDEO ..but you'll probably have to buy a 5 gallon pail ..and it will probably be around $40
dunno.gif

Seeing the Tracker is my Mom's car. Her borderline is ballpark.....$20 including the filter. As far as HDEO's, Ace Hardware would be my best bet. I'll have to look around and do some comparing. If I looked around enough, I could find something that would work fine. Thanks,,,AR

I FOUND IT!!!!!!

Rotella 10w30!!!! In qt bottles too!! $2.69/qt!! woohoo!!! AR
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back