will synthetic 10w30 flow like a 5w30 dino or better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the winter coming will it be ok to run a semi blend or synthetic 10w30 in north carolina climate in a 4.6 ford with 96 k on it?

You should be fine. I would imagine NC winters don't get frigid cold like they do here in OH. I would use a 0w or 5w for the extra start up protection. But that's just me, I'm sure if you did choose a 10w, the truck will be fine,,,AR

I ran 10w-40 dino oil year round when stationed at Camp Lejeune & never had any problems. The synthetic should flow just fine.

My 2000 Merc.with 4.6 says 5W30 on the oil cap! I use 10w30 as I also do in a 1998 Dodge 1500 5.2.Once a year oil changes or in the 20k area with a filter,top off at 6 months.Ran a 1985 Chevy Caprice 3054bbl like that 252k with a timing chain top gear failure at around 225k.No blow by,leakdown was still in specs.Oil usage was low.Less then a quart every 4k.Sold that car still running well if not better(new timing chain)then it did the previous year.I use the A word.Amsoil.

Buy the syn-blend for a trial-run in a higher mileage engine. I even spike that a little by substituting one quart of syn-blend with a quart of full synthetic. In many vehicles, that will raise the actual synthetic amount from approximently 20-25% to over one-third. If the Ford finds it favorable, then try it with all synthetic in the spring.

quote:

Originally posted by mettech:
I thought that the 4.6 recommends 5W-20.

thats the reason for me asking the ques. since the truck is supossed to run on 5w20 will a synthetic 10w30 flow like a 5w20 or at least a 5w30 wich is what i run all the time anyway tks

"thats the reason for me asking the ques. since the truck is supossed to run on 5w20 will a synthetic 10w30 flow like a 5w20 or at least a 5w30 wich is what i run all the time anyway tks"

NO 10/30 is thicker at cold end and at hotter end and will be thicker than any 5/20.

this is based on the SAE viscosity definitions.
but in my ford 4.6 I use a 5/30 can not stand 5/20 which IMHO is just to damm thin.

bruce

My understanding is at normal operating temperature (100 degrees celcius) that all oils perform around 10w. It is the cold start-up that I would be concerned about. I would prefer a 5w30 synthetic or a 0w30 if it were me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back