5w-30 in a 2007 Toyota Rav4 instead of 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing my mother's 2007 Rav4 (4 cylinder 35,000 miles) oil change and last time I put in mobil 1 5w-20. Just a note her old oil (whatever toyota puts in it) was in terrible shape with some visible chunks. She let's it run the entire 5000 miles until the service engine light comes on solid. They also have a corolla that I put mobil 1 5w-30 EP in. Next oil change (winter) I am going to drain them both and get them on the same schedule. I want to use the same oil just for simplicity sake and I was thinking the the 5w-30 should be fine in the Rav4 even in western NY winters. Am I OK going this route?

Yes, you're OK. Any of the M1 5w30's would work perfectly in both of those engines. Another option is to use the 0w30 year round in both vehicles.

Great thanks guys. I was using mobil 1 filters but was thinking of changing to wix and ordering a box. Any opinions on wix filters? I know people on the land rover forums love them.

Wix is a very well made filter. I use them
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I have the same engine/tranny combo in an even heavier vehicle. 5000 miles shouldn't be a problem with any driving style, and should be your OCI since the warranty runs to 60,000 miles.
5-30 is certainly OK, it's the weight I use. The only difference between those specd for 5-30 and 5-20 is about a half quart larger oil pan (started in 05).

Wix makes some really good filters, and for this app they're a good fit.

The real difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30 in you RAV is only what the dealer considers for warranty purpose claims. Which is really a bunch of poo. My Ford dealer has stated that you can use any oil within reason and upon teardown if it's not sludged/caked (lack of oil changes) or the oil is wayyyy too thick then you have no problem because you didn't use 5W-20. Though Toyota may be stricter in their warranty requirements.

With Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 you should have great cold cranking even in your Western NY winter climate.

32.gif
a few years ago I went to my nephew's wedding outside of Buffalo in July. The weather was fantastic, too bad January is not like that
grin2.gif
. I live in northern NJ and our winter sucks big time also
smirk2.gif

Whimsey

EP 5W-20 would be ideal, especially given the winters you see in that area.

EDIT: Per TIS, the two oils spec-ed for the 2007 I-4 RAV4 are 0w-20 (preferred...) and 5w-20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back