New Mobil 1 10W60

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new 0W-40 seem very slightly lighter than the current formulation. But M1 is always tweeking their formulations.

The 10W-60 is interesting. I see they're targeting the older car market.

-Suitable for nearly all but the very latest engine technologies
-Older vehicles
-Nearly all operating conditions, from mild to extreme
-The ideal product for Racing applications

They do seem at first glance to be targeting older cars, but it has some fairly modern approvals and they say it's ideal for racing conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if this product turns into a competitor for Castrol TWS.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
considering 10w60 is the preferred oil for the BMW M cars, i wonder if thats who they are targeting.

But it does not have a bmw rating....

wouldnt mind trying this [censored] out on a high horespower turbo 4 banger

10W-60......when 15W-50 just isn't enough!!!

Question: Should I use 15W-50 in my car in the summer?

Answer: Heck no! In the heat of summer, you don't want a thin oil in your engine...you need a thick oil to protect it properly. That watery 15W-50 is just for fuel economy. You've got to go with something like a 10W-60 to protect the engine properly in summer heat!

I've got it about right, eh?

They charge it 20$ here so it's almost strictly for racing cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
10W-60......when 15W-50 just isn't enough!!!

Question: Should I use 15W-50 in my car in the summer?

Answer: Heck no! In the heat of summer, you don't want a thin oil in your engine...you need a thick oil to protect it properly. That watery 15W-50 is just for fuel economy. You've got to go with something like a 10W-60 to protect the engine properly in summer heat!

I've got it about right, eh?

I detect more than a note of sarcasm.

Modern engines are designed for 8 cSt of operating viscosity, the 1990s high performance engines {Ferrari, Prosche, BMW} are designed for 12 cSt of operating viscosity. That 10W-60 is operating at 22 cSt with decreases the ability of the oil to cool the lubricated parts.

Not true. Newer european cars REQUIRE an HT/HS of >3.5 and generally specify oils between 11.5-14.5 cst.

There is a reason that BMW specs such a thick oil.

To the original poster, I would give Redline a try. You can get 15w50 and 20w50 (ester oil with huge HT/HS) from ogracing for < $9/qt. Or just get 10w60 for $11/qt from Redline's website.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Not true. Newer european cars REQUIRE an HT/HS of >3.5

a: only when the engine is being pushed hard and for long periods of time (like HPDE driving) where the oil gets as hot as 290dF+
b: there are 5W-30 oils with HTHS = 3.6 and 5W-40 oils with HTHS > 4.5 -- far in excess of the 3.5 HTHS requirement. The particular oil in question (10W-60) have HTHS > 5.0 and operating viscosities of 22.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Modern engines are designed for 8 cSt of operating viscosity, the 1990s high performance engines {Ferrari, Prosche, BMW} are designed for 12 cSt of operating viscosity.

That makes no sense to me. How did you come to those conclusions?

a: only when the engine is being pushed hard and for long periods of time (like HPDE driving) where the oil gets as hot as 290dF+

The OEM requirements in question for HTHS viscosity do not have a hard-driving type stipulation.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Modern engines are designed for 8 cSt of operating viscosity, the 1990s high performance engines {Ferrari, Prosche, BMW} are designed for 12 cSt of operating viscosity.

That makes no sense to me. How did you come to those conclusions?

via aehaas articles, and BITOG topics several years ago. It just so happens that these are the viscosities of engines using 0W-20 oils at operating conditions.

Quote:

The OEM requirements in question for HTHS viscosity do not have a hard-driving type stipulation.

Yes, but in the car I have with similar performance (Ferrari F355B) the only way to get the oil up into the temperature range where HTHS numbers are applicable (>260dF) is to drive the living snot out of it on real race tracks. It is simply notpossible to get the oil up above 230dF even in 103dF ambients (Texas) in city traffic or on back road romps. The only way to get the oil temps this high is sustained 100% throttle for more than 5 minutes. Even using a lower gear and reving the snot out of it at 8250 RPMs will not get the oil over 245dF unless the throttle is also 100% down.

Now, maybe the F355B has a lot more oil cooling than the BMW M cars--I don't know, and maybe the finger followers add to the HTHS or operating viscosities above and beyond those of my (lowly) ferrari. I suspect that that the finger followers would really like a higher dose of ZDDP than SM oils anyway (high load wiping action lubrication).

via aehaas articles, and BITOG topics several years ago. It just so happens that these are the viscosities of engines using 0W-20 oils at operating conditions.

aehaas articles are just the opinions/theories of a plastic surgeon. Some of them are true and others are not. As a whole, the articles are a bad source of information. I won't go into specifics because it's off-topic and it is not worth discussing IMO. But if you want to do some reading from authoritative sources, there are many posted online.

Yes, but in the car I have with similar performance (Ferrari F355B) the only way to get the oil up into the temperature range where HTHS numbers are applicable (>260dF) is to drive the living snot out of it on real race tracks. It is simply notpossible to get the oil up above 230dF even in 103dF ambients (Texas) in city traffic or on back road romps. The only way to get the oil temps this high is sustained 100% throttle for more than 5 minutes. Even using a lower gear and reving the snot out of it at 8250 RPMs will not get the oil over 245dF unless the throttle is also 100% down.

Now, maybe the F355B has a lot more oil cooling than the BMW M cars--I don't know, and maybe the finger followers add to the HTHS or operating viscosities above and beyond those of my (lowly) ferrari. I suspect that that the finger followers would really like a higher dose of ZDDP than SM oils anyway (high load wiping action lubrication).

That is interesting how well your Ferrari keeps sump temperatures at reasonable temperatures. Sump temperatures are not what the 302F temperature is based on in the HTHS test. Local oil temperatures in bearings that are higher than sump temperatures is what it's primarily based on. The high shear rate used in the test is equally important due to temporary shear thinning that occurs with multi-grade oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back