Can German Castrol go 10k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC meets the GM-LL-025-A spec. Therefore if gasoline service, it can be used for up to 18k miles.

UOA needs to verify this however...

DOUG.How did I base my reply about Amsoil? FROM THIS SITE! Post after post about Amsoil oils being the leader in EXTENDED drain intervals with super additive packs.Read it here over and over.

Last edited:
Hounddog,

That's awesome that you love Amsoil.

But the topic is "Can German Castrol go 10k miles?" What does that have to do with Amsoil? Can you see that is annoying to others when you hijack a thread an try to change it from one about German Castrol to one about AmsOil?

When the question was asked and replies like 'maybe' or if 'highway only' answers appear I replied with what LOTS on this forum say. That for EXTENDED drain intervals Axxx can't be beat.I don't feel like thats a hijack.Truth be who REALLY knows if German Castrol CAN go 10k without trying it and doing a UOA.But obviously there were no replies with confidence that it could.So why would I not reply with a product that advertises extended drains and meeting the so called tough European standards AND most of YOU ALL say is tops for extended drains.Maybe the orignal poster dosen't know that there are products be it whatever that 10k is a walk in the park for what he wants to do.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Truth be who REALLY knows if German Castrol CAN go 10k without trying it and doing a UOA.

There are plenty of long drain UOAs on GC. The OP just needs to search the archives.

There probably isn't one for his particular engine though, but is there one on Amsoil?

Quote:

So why would I not reply with a product that advertises extended drains and meeting the so called tough European standards

For the record, Amsoil doesn't officially meet those standards, i.e. it hasn't been certified. There's a slight difference between "recommended for" and "approved".

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
CG may hurt gas mileage. 12cst. I would do a short OCI (div>

Ive used Mobil 0W30 and GC...didnt see any change.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I think it probably can, unless you're a chronic short-tripper with fuel and water dilution issues.

Draw off some UOAs at 5k, 8k and 10k then you'll know for certain.

Oh, thats cost effective;)

Huh? ONCE for his engine, driving habits and oil, and then he knows. Not every OCI.

What did you think the "was the oil changed at the time of this sample?" and "are you interested in extended drain intervals?" questions are for on the Blackstone form?

Maybe get a TBN-only reading or something to save some $$$ instead of a full UOA.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
When the question was asked and replies like 'maybe' or if 'highway only' answers appear I replied with what LOTS on this forum say. That for EXTENDED drain intervals Axxx can't be beat.I don't feel like thats a hijack.Truth be who REALLY knows if German Castrol CAN go 10k without trying it and doing a UOA.But obviously there were no replies with confidence that it could.So why would I not reply with a product that advertises extended drains and meeting the so called tough European standards AND most of YOU ALL say is tops for extended drains.

You would still have to check Amsoil's performance on extended drains with your climate, engine, and driving habits before believing what's printed on the bottle. If you have fuel dilution issues, nothing is going to go 10k, for instance.

Modern BMWs end up requesting something crazy like 18k mile OCIs on BMW 5W30. BMW 5W30 is a Castrol synthetic which is inferior to GC, but still good.

The wishy-washy replies come from not wanted to endorse that GC will definintely go that far in an unknown engine, driven in an unknown manner without any kind of verification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There are plenty of long drain UOAs on GC. The OP just needs to search the archives.

Agreed QP. A nice and clear answer for the OP, on the original question. If any oil can go 10k, GC can.

Shills and cheerleaders are increasingly hijacking what should be straightforward threads, and turning them into 50-reply skirmishes over their brand allegiances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back