Silicone / PTFE Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford F150. Most of the trucks have an issue with the slip yoke. this is the portion of the driveshaft that connects to the back of the trans if it is 2 wheel drive. The problem is that it does not slide properly and causes it to bind and create slop in the drivetrain as you pull away from a stop. Ford's fix is to lube it with grease that has PTFE. I have installed zerk fittings on my slip yoke because a one time shot of grease does not last very long. One of the problems is that I have been using standard wheel bearing grease. It lasts a few days and it is gone. So I began to think about the PTFE stuff that Ford reccommends. I did find a Permatex grease called Ultra Slick. Ultra Slick Grease Info

What is going to be my best route? Is this the stuff to use...should I consider something else.

Thanks
Barry

Trying to read up on the problem, but I do know some Nissan, Ford and Jeep guys install Slip Yoke Eliminators to combat just that(since they try to lift the truck, or if there are extreme flexing/articulation situations it causes the same problem and even disconnects itself.

on the Ford Forums there is a discussion about it, some guy actually lubed the [censored] out of the slip yoke and seems all was well:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/827939-slip-yoke-grease-fitting-mod.html

Also:

The PTFE lube Ford uses now is p/n- D2AZ-19590-A (1LB)

Last edited:
Sorry to be a post junky, I have been reading up on your issue and its a very common issue with the Ford F series of pickups dating 2000-2006.

Seems every 3-6k miles it needs to be re-lubricated(mileage will vary depending on usage). Trying to read up on any installations of SYE install.

Thanks for the investigations and help!! I have been chasing this for a while. I even installed helper springs thinking it was axle wrap...no help.

It's obvious the only fix is grease soooo I am just trying to figure out what would be the best grease to use and I thought I would come to the experts on this.

thanks a bunch!
Barry

GM has that issue on some of their stuff as well. They use "Special Lubricant" (no idea what's in it) to quiet theirs which seems to work better than chassis grease, but the stuff is fairly expensive IIRC, like $40-ish a can.

I believe they were also releasing updated slip yokes with some kind of plating for some of their shafts, perhaps Ford has also?

I see Super Lube also has a High Temp/Pressure grease with PTFE. Could be another product to check into.

Last edited:
Well Moly Grease would lay down a nice intermediary contact point between the two materials. It would also stay in there longer as it bonds to the material for anti-friction use. I think it would be worth a shot, might last a little longer.

So what kind of Moly is good and accessible? Or should I search for a Moly grease with PTFE in it???? Do they make it????

Barry

Not to sure but here is what I'd recommend for a good moly grease:
Schaffer's Ultimate Moly Grease(very good but going to be hard to get in small quantities).

Amsoil Synthetic Moly(lot's of Toyota guys use it for practically everything requiring grease on their trucks and swear buy it).

Editing again:

The Amsoil will be easier for you to get a hold of, its top notch stuff and can be used nearly everywhere in your truck as its a top quality blend of components. Cheaper moly greases could be abrasive with fallout but Amsoil's is unlike the cheaper alternatives.

The moly should be safe since the base is still lithium, the additive is just moly and it can be synthetic or non-synthetic.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with the Superlube synthetic with PTFE?

Barry

Originally Posted By: IN2FORD
Anyone have any experience with the Superlube synthetic with PTFE?

Barry

Not for this purpose, but I do use the regular version for odds and ends. It is a little thicker consistency than chassis grease, it actually looks just like a dielectric grease really. It is commonly available in a small squeeze tube from either Harbor Freight tools or at a GM parts counter.

The extreme pressure/temperature version listed on their website sounds especally suited to the task due to its larger temperature range, but I don't know were you would buy it.

I contacted Superlube about the extreme pressure/temperature and they said that it had a higher content of PTFE. 25% PTFE and in the standard Superlube it has roughly 5-10%. So what is the benefit of the extra PTFE for my application??? I am guessing it gets slicker.

Barry

Originally Posted By: IN2FORD
I contacted Superlube about the extreme pressure/temperature and they said that it had a higher content of PTFE. 25% PTFE and in the standard Superlube it has roughly 5-10%. So what is the benefit of the extra PTFE for my application??? I am guessing it gets slicker.

Barry

I worked for 2.5 years working at the Brother in law's company in San Diego. They make Remote Operated underwater vehicles. Seabotix.com

They were using the Super lube for assembly of a lot of the ROV components. I never knew exactly why he thought it was the best. The vehicles had a lot of o-rings that we used it on for the sub assemblies. They also used Kluber lube on the thruster motors and the stuff was very expensive. Most expensive grease I have ever used. I think it was like 150$ for a 2lb container, or something like that.

The Super Lube might be worth a try on you slip yoke. 25% PTFE sounds like a lot.

I got the Ford stuff. It seems to be very good and lasts. I did mine years ago which was probably 30 or 40000 miles ago. I got a tube of it and not the one pound can and it was reasonably priced. If I remember right they had the cans but had to order the tube. One tube should last me my lifetime.

If you want I can get the part number off the tube.

If I remember right it was a pretty blue color.

Mine is a 99 F350.

I installed zerk fittings on my drive shaft so that I could do it easier. Is the tube just a squeeze tube or a cartridge?

Barry

This may help.Ford Rangers had this issue bad,Ford issued a kit that includes the special grease.
You probably wont use the boot but the grease cures this problem.
The kit cost approx $30 from any Ford dealer

F87Z-4K277-AA Drive Shaft Slip Yoke Kit (Steel Shaft)
4L5Z-4K277-AA Drive Shaft Slip Yoke Kit (Aluminum Shaft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back