Summer/winter oil dodge ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question, I have an 09 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 mds motor. I was going to run Mobil 1 syn 5W 30 in the summer and the Mobil 1 syn 5W 20 in the winter, the manual states to use 5W 20. Would it be ok to run the heavier oil or should I not even bother and just stick with the 5W 20, my driving style is a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving with sustained speeds of 80 mph for about 1/2 hour or slightly more. The temperature outside has been in the lower 90's. Thanks in advance, Sal

You will get a lot of opinions........ You will be OK doing what you state.

Only thing if you want to be picky is warranty coverage. They could use it against you.

MDS requires 5w-20 to operate properly. Until you get a tuner or something to disable the MDS stick w/ 5w-20, unless you want to lose your warranty due to running the wrong oil.

Originally Posted By: chambers
MDS requires 5w-20 to operate properly. Until you get a tuner or something to disable the MDS stick w/ 5w-20, unless you want to lose your warranty due to running the wrong oil.

Yea Just stick to 5w20

Originally Posted By: spursfan600
cant go wrong with what the manufacturer recommends

+1.......Or as others said 0W20 can be used in place of 5W20.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
Just a quick question, I have an 09 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 mds motor. I was going to run Mobil 1 syn 5W 30 in the summer and the Mobil 1 syn 5W 20 in the winter, the manual states to use 5W 20. Would it be ok to run the heavier oil or should I not even bother and just stick with the 5W 20, my driving style is a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving with sustained speeds of 80 mph for about 1/2 hour or slightly more. The temperature outside has been in the lower 90's. Thanks in advance, Sal

Dude, how many times are you going to ask the same basic question about oil for your truck?
LOL.gif

As has been stated in response to this same question of yours previously - STAY WITH A 20 WEIGHT OIL! 5W-20 year round is fine for your truck and use. It is the mfg recommended weight for all seasons. Also, has has been stated repeatedly MDS requires a 20 weight. That has not changed since your 1st few posts/questions about oil for your new truck.

Do not use 30 weight oil
Do not use 40 weight oil
Do not use 50 weight oil

NOTE - please understand I don't mean this harsh or to be a jerk but we have answered this already for you. Not sure why you keep asking if you can use something other than the 5W-20. The answer is going to be the same every time and that is use 5W-20( 0W-20 in winter if it makes you happy ). Your application requires a 20 weight oil specifically.

Last edited:
I always read conflicting stories on which oil to use, just recently a supposed engineer said he would never use any 20 wt oil in any car or truck. So it makes you wonder if some added protection might be needed in the summer months, but you are right, I think I need to stay away from this forum. But anyways, thanks

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Chrysler puts a LIFTETIME WARRANTY on that engine and SAY USE 5w20 in the ENTIRE USA all year round.Does this SUPPOSED engineer have a job?

I believe he's talking about the Ford Modular powertrain engineer........... Who did make that statement.

BTW, how good is the lifetime warranty through FIAT and the UAW? Or do we know yet? (not trying to be snooty, I'm actually curious).

That's the engineer who said he would never use 5W 20 in any motor. I won't be reading any more objective articles from here anymore, otherwise it'll drive you crazy. I'm sticking with the 5W 20 and hope for the best. Thanks, Sal

renos09ram;

1st off let me say this. I may have come across like a jerk in my previous post to you and if so I am sorry. I am not doing well health wise and due to that I don't have the patience I used to have. I really meant no offense with what I posted.

Now, I admit I would prefer to run a heavier oil in my 08 HEMI Ram than the 5W-20. Unfortunately, due to MDS, I do not have a choice. It requires a 20 weight. You are in the same boat as your 09 1500 has MDS. If you were to disable MDS using a tuner you could probably jump up to 5W-30 as Chrysler has spec'd that weight in the past for the 5.7L( 03-04 )and does so in 09( 07-08 as well )for the HD trucks with GVWR's above 14,000 lbs. I "assume" in 09 the HD trucks with the 5.7L use the new 5.7L like the 1500 even though the 2500/3500's are in the older body? I would not think they would use 2 different 5.7L's in 09 but maybe? Bottom line is with MDS off 5W-30 "should be ok" but unless it is off stay with a 20 weight.

Now with that all said Ford has been running 20 weight oils in their V8 trucks( and other applications )for 10 years or more. My Brother had a 99 F350 SD w/ 5.4L and it was spec'd for 5W-20. That truck was worked HARD( plowing and hauling lumber and a 16' utility trailer full of tools daily )and had a ton of miles on it( 150K+ )when he sold it in 2006. He replaced it with an 06 F250 SD w/ 5.4L. The new truck is also spec'd for 5W-20 and he now has 70K+ under the same conditions as the 99 saw.

5W-20 can do the job. I haven't read this article that has you nervous I admit but there is plenty of real world evidence out there that 20 weights can do the job. The mfg of your truck spec's it and offers a lifetime warranty using it so don't sweat it. Just run a good synthetic if you want some extra protection.

Again I apologize if I came across rude. Havn't been feeling well but shouldn't take it out on you.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back