Can German Castrol go 10k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to extend my OCI from 5 to 10k miles and I was wondering if this oil will do it? Autozone has it on sale near me for 27.99 for 5 qts and a k&n oil filter.

It'll be going into a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5(qr25). It's been on dino oil until the last oil change which was Castrol Sythetic Blend 5w-30 BTW.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
So I want to extend my OCI from 5 to 10k miles and I was wondering if this oil will do it?

Yes.

Unless there's something terribly wrong with your engine, GC will take that without even breaking a sweat.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
So I want to extend my OCI from 5 to 10k miles and I was wondering if this oil will do it?

BMW definitely thinks so. Since this oil carries a BMW LL-01 specification, it is expected to go as far as the variable oil change monitor will dictate which can be as much as 20k miles depending on circumstances. Of course there's a time limit as well. If it takes you 3 years to accumulate 10k miles, then I'd change it sooner.

Thanks everyone for the replies! The motor has been VERY reliable now with 60k miles. Has no oil consumption issues what so ever (which I was worried because the qr25 is known for this).

Im using GC in my Tacoma. Six months or 7500 miles is as far as ill ever go...usually its between 5-6K. Why take that chance.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I think it probably can, unless you're a chronic short-tripper with fuel and water dilution issues.

Draw off some UOAs at 5k, 8k and 10k then you'll know for certain.

Oh, thats cost effective;)

I ran GC in my car for 9000 miles last winter and it seem to do just fine as far as I could tell. But I didn't do a UOA so it doesn't hold up well other then what I say. What kind of driving do you do?

CG may hurt gas mileage. 12cst. I would do a short OCI (<2K mi) on supertech syn first to really clean it up. OTW U R gonna have a loaded filter thru that long GC OCI.

Hi,
hounddog - With respect this Thread is about German Castrol not Amsoil. And how did you judge "best" for extended drain intervals?

And yes, German Castrol can go up to 10k miles in the correct application

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I think it probably can, unless you're a chronic short-tripper with fuel and water dilution issues.

Draw off some UOAs at 5k, 8k and 10k then you'll know for certain.

Oh, thats cost effective;)

He's not telling him to do it every OCI. You only do it once.

With the QR, I would do an analysis at 6 or 7K miles and go from there. That engine is ummm............. problematic to say the least.

Didn't realize the pic was that big so just click instead.

http://www.godosoot.com/chris/Accent_1.jpg

If it can take short tripping in the winter like this, it can take the heat of TX.

Also

Tdi.jpg

It took to the TDI well although being the diesel the soot increased the viscosity slightly. The silicon was from a new oil pan gasket(dealer stripped the plug).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Im using GC in my Tacoma. Six months or 7500 miles is as far as ill ever go...usually its between 5-6K. Why take that chance.

5-6k sounds like a waste for any Synthetic oil. I go 5k miles on YB in my 08 xB.

Originally Posted By: Al
With the QR, I would do an analysis at 6 or 7K miles and go from there. That engine is ummm............. problematic to say the least.

LOL I agree, the qr25 is a very toublesome motor since its debut. This one was part of the recall they had back in 06 for oil sumption issues but it passed with flying colors. I believe it since I have never seen the dipstick move from the full line when ever I check the oil level. I'm very shocked but also happy that we haven't had any issues with the engine.

Should I run some type of engine flush before I run the GC?

I don't understand the flush. What are you flushing? I thought you had been using shorter OCI's before this.

Unless you were running old stock dino for 7500 mile runs, the flush seems worthless. So does a 5000 mile OCI. If you can't do 5000 miles on GC, get rid of the car!

Is it a "normal" 4~5 quart sump? None of the 3.5/3.7 liter jobs Nissan used to use?

I'd feel real comfortable at 7500 miles, and I'm sure 10,000 is doable. But I don't know your engine well, or your driving habits (neither does anyone else here, FWIW). I'd search around for some UOA's from the same engine family at least. The fact GC can do well in someone elses totally different engine with their totally different driving style in a totally different climate doesn't have much correlation to me.

Under normal driving in an engine that isn't known to be particularly hard on oil (direct injection, turbo, or both), 10k should be no problem.

I feel like I pushed the envelope with GC in my '08 Dodge 4.7 by 9500 miles of "severe" service in hot temps with LOTS of idling (>120hrs). Was planning on trying it out for 10k, but at 9500 miles, the engine seemed to quietly start complaining so I swapped it out for fresh GC. Now will be sticking with 7500-8k mile OCI's under aforementioned "severe service" conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back