Oil for Toyota 1ZZ-Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a base model '04 Pontiac Vibe with the Toyota 1ZZ engine. Owners manual recommends 5w-30, and that's what I've been using. I've been using Amsoil 100% sythetic 5w-30, changing it every 10,000 miles, and changing the filter at 5000 miles.

But I keep reading these great reports on conventional 5w-20, so I'm tempted to try it. I'd like to change it at 5000 miles.

Anyone use 5w-20 in this engine? Or have suggestions? Thanks

My 2005 Corolla with the same engine really likes Castrol Syntec Blend so far in it's 27000 miles.

Worst oil that I ran was Mobil 1. It used quite a bit of it and the UOA was no better than oil that was quite a bit cheaper. No difference with MPG either...

Interesting that I ran Mobil Drive Clean Plus (which is a blend) (.50 cents a quart)before and it used none of it. UOA was excellent on it.

The Castrol oil i'm running now is still pretty clean after 4k and no useage.
tongue.gif

Hard to beat the .49 cent a quart Chevron oil that is still avail!
grin.gif
(once I use up my older oil in my stash thats what I'm going to...)

I change 4-5k with ST filters. Bought some OEM Toyota filters on a deal (they are longer than the orginal ones?) and will be trying those.

My dad has been using the 5w-20 in his Honda powered outfits and everything is great.

But, I would stay with the 5w-30 in a Toyota.(Chain drive Cams...)
rolleyes.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Yeah, it's interesting to note that the 1zzfe loves cheap oil, it also runs great on high quality dino oils. Yeah, don't go 5w20, way too thin. 5w20 is great on Hondas.

quote:

Originally posted by JakeR22:
I have a base model '04 Pontiac Vibe with the Toyota 1ZZ engine. Owners manual recommends 5w-30, and that's what I've been using.

I have a base Vibe also. Check your owner's manual again. Toyota or at least GM permits the use of 0w-30. That is what I currently have in my engine.

quote:

Originally posted by JakeR22:
But I keep reading these great reports on conventional 5w-20, so I'm tempted to try it. I'd like to change it at 5000 miles.

Anyone use 5w-20 in this engine? Or have suggestions? Thanks

Hmm...someone suggested the use of Redline 5W-20
in such an engine...I wonder...

I've used both 0W20 and 5W20 in a 99 Corolla(1ZZ-FE)with no weird noises.I found the best overall oil in this engine is M1 5W30.Never burned a drop!

I think the new Donaldson filters are out and no need to change oil filters. I too however am sold on the 0/30 (GC). :)But I did go to the HD 5/30 (Amsoil 3000)in the 03 camry it seems to like it really well.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
not a bad idea... M1 chemistry has historically been an excellent match for toyota metallurgy. A 10w-30 might be a better match, depending on what kind of RPMs this engine runs and if any use is encountered. M1 10w-30 + toyota engine usually = winning combo.

I wouldnt run 5w-20, especially since reports always surface that heavier oils are reccomended by toyota through the rest of the world... Id rather stick with a 30wt, even if just a light one.

JMH

Not exactly. Check this out. Toyota Recomending Thinner oils

It is more culturaly driven "dad always used this" driven than anything else.

Thanks for the link... that said, weve never had issues with 30wt oils in toyotas in the US... but 15w-40 is better for toyotas that my GF's parents own in the USVI... you should see some of the junk that forms from anything else!

Thanks again,

JMH

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just stick with the 5w30.

I might try the extended drain Mobil One. And just change that at 10k.

I'm from the St. Louis area, and it's hard to find many brands that offer thinner oils. Maybe more will be on the shelves since winter is coming.

not a bad idea... M1 chemistry has historically been an excellent match for toyota metallurgy. A 10w-30 might be a better match, depending on what kind of RPMs this engine runs and if any use is encountered. M1 10w-30 + toyota engine usually = winning combo.

I wouldnt run 5w-20, especially since reports always surface that heavier oils are reccomended by toyota through the rest of the world... Id rather stick with a 30wt, even if just a light one.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back