Another good oil succumbs to SM rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my Saab 9-5 this morning, using Total Quartz Energy 9000 in 5W/40 weight. As I am looking over the bottle I notice the label no longer carries the GM/Opel/Saab/Vauxhaul LL-B-025 rating! A quick web search shows that this oil doesn't even exist anymore, it has been renamed Total Quartz 9000.

Even more distressing (but maybe I am over-reacting) is that my empty bottles and the newly re-named oil are no longer SL rated, but are both identified as SM oils! A SM rated oil marketed for diesel engine applications?

The bottle still carries quite a list of manufacturer approvals as a Long Life oil (BMW, Mercedes, VW, Porsche), but I wonder if the list will rapidly be getting shorter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
A SM rated oil marketed for diesel engine applications?

Mobil 1's ESP line is for diesels, and it's WAY within SM specs.
wink.gif

These oils probably aren't for heavy duty diesel engines. I bet that's the difference from what we're normally used to in a diesel oil.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Mobil 1's ESP line is for diesels, and it's WAY within SM specs.
wink.gif

Same thing with Shell Rotella T 5w-40.

SM rating means ALOT less when pertaining to 40wt+ oils than 30wt and below oils. Manufacturers are still able to keep higher amounts of anti-wear in the heavier weights than are allowwed in the 0w, 5w, and 10w 20wt and 30wt oils.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back