23,869 engine hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought this '02 International 9200 about a year ago for use hauling grain on our farm. It has about 23,869 hours on it and a little better than 730,000 miles. It was a fleet maintained truck that was run by a grain company. The inside/outside of the truck looks fantastic for as many miles as it has. This is the first oil change we did with 289 hours on it using Texaco Ursa Super Plus 15w-40. The truck did not use any oil during this change interval. The truck runs a 375 hp Cummins ISM engine, which, based the maintenance records we got with the truck, has never been opened up.

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 20
Copper 1
Lead 3
Tin 0
Molybdenum 85
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 238
Silicon 6
Sodium 4
Calcium 1548
Magnesium 245
Phosphurous 1189
Zinc 1535
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity at 210 F 70.3
cSt Viscosity at 100 C 13.03
Flashpoint in F 420
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles .3%

Stayed in grade, low wear metals, no contamination from fuel, coolant or dirt to speak of, nearly 290 hours is akin to 9k miles or so for the OCI (truck lifetime average is around 30mph). What's not to like about that UOA!

If I'm not mistaken, the Texaco products are cloned out of the Chevron brands. So, it's reaonable to expect stellar performance. They may not be "exact" duplicates, but certainly the pedigree is good.

That ISM will probably last another 25k hours!

Last edited:
That 289 hours took us about a year to put on so maybe we'll get that far someday. Definately be cool to see. I think the Texaco is very similar ot the Delo 400 a lot of folks like. Now we're using Service Pro which is about 2/3 the price and nearly the same additive package as well.

I always liked the Texaco Ursa Super Plus it's a consistent performer. It's very similar to Delo (it's a Chevron oil) and wear patterns have proven pretty consistent in typical fleet use. Calcium looks a little low in this UOA from my baselines of about 1800 ppm. Was this the CJ-4 version??

Either way you got a gem of an ISM! They have been a million mile type motor in OTR for many of my clients. EGR is the only drawback, other than occasional cooling system burps, that we've found from a reliability perspective.

With the lower Calcium and a few hundred ppm of magnesium, it looks like it was CJ4...Most of my Delo UOA's had well over 3000 ppm calcium, and almost nil magnesium.

lots of expensive boron and less calcium=CJ4

low speed grain field operation can be hard on an engine and oil, lots of heat buildup and dust.
air and oil filter changes are more important with a quality filter like Donaldson or Cummins than the oil used.

looks like your oil and the Cummins stands up to the rough tough service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back