Jetta VR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 1998 Jetta VR6 that I have done the OC's on. From the owners manual I found that 5w-30 would be ideal for the Montana winters this car sees and it also be fine for the summers.

But...looking on some VW forums and this site, it looks like people are using a 0/5w-40 for the VR's.

It seems to be running fine for the last 5yrs. on Mobil,PP, and most recently Castrol Syntec 5w-30, and I wanted to know the BITOGers ideas on this...

Side note: Friend bought car in 2004 w/14,000mi. and currently has around 52,000mi as of last OC.

Thanks in advance.
19.gif

The key is not the weight but finding an oil that meets the 502.00 spec.

This implies that an oil will have a decent (exact number eludes me at the moment, 3.5?) HTHS rating, which means a thicker oil. GC 0w-30 is one of few (if only) 30 weight that meets 502.00.

That being said, I owned a '01 Jetta with the VR6 and always used a thinner 5w-30 oil in the winter that didn't meet the 502.00 without any problems. Engine still ran great when car was traded in at 100k.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
The key is not the weight but finding an oil that meets the 502.00 spec.

This implies that an oil will have a decent (exact number eludes me at the moment, 3.5?) HTHS rating, which means a thicker oil. GC 0w-30 is one of few (if only) 30 weight that meets 502.00.

That being said, I owned a '01 Jetta with the VR6 and always used a thinner 5w-30 oil in the winter that didn't meet the 502.00 without any problems. Engine still ran great when car was traded in at 100k.

Does this 502.00 spec. go back to the 98 gen. VR6's, and I've looked a few times at O'Rielly's,Napa,Parts Plus and I've never seen the GC. Anything else you might suggest, or where GC is typically found in the West?

GC is only found at AutoZone and PepBoys - looks like you may not have any of those in Missoula.

FYI, I've been to Missoula a year ago. Nice place. If I could, I'd move out there in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
GC is only found at AutoZone and PepBoys - looks like you may not have any of those in Missoula.

Oops, last OC is PP, I remebered because I bought it last weekend and just missed the sweet rebate (also had a thread on how the female friend picked it out on looks).

FYI, I've been to Missoula a year ago. Nice place. If I could, I'd move out there in a heartbeat.

Missoula's great, if you like the great outdoors.

If you can find it Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30 is available a some Walmarts and has VW 502 rating. My Wallyworld stopped carrying it a few years ago and never restocked. All they carry now is Maxlife Blend. Some Walmarts do have Maxlife Full Syn though so you have to look around. Advance Auto used to carry Maxlife Full Syn as well but not sure if they do anymore.

I never liked GC 0w-30 that much in my VR6 as the oil wouldn't stick to the parts that well and made some pretty weird startup noise. Never had that problem with Maxlife Syn.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Bobert
If you can find it Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30 is available a some Walmarts and has VW 502 rating.

Can't find any mention of the VW spec on Valvoline's site:
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Maxlife_Synthetic_PI.pdf

VW's approved oil list doesn't seem to include Maxlife either:
http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/en/us/images/vw_oil_recommendations.pdf

They could have changed the formula, but still does have A3 which is nothing to sneeze at. The old bottles I stashed have VW 502. Still good oil none the less.

It seems the current Maxlife full syn does not have either 502 or A3 ratings on it (I am looking at the bottle right now). But the Mobil 1 0W-40 (VW 502 approved) we use is readily available at many retailers and goes on sale at our local auto parts every couple of months.

For example, right now I can buy 5 quarts of any M1 variety except the EP versions for $30 and that includes a M1 oil filter. Since the M1 filter will not fit a BMW or most VW's, I simply get the filter that fits one of our other vehicles. That price combined with a loyalty card discount or M1 rebate combines for a nice low final price for an approved VW oil that can be used year round.

Other oils locally that go on sale and are approved are Castrol 5W-40 and 0W-30. The local VW dealers use only the Castrol 5W-40 and will do the entire oil change for $60 with this oil and of course the OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: ZR2grizz
A friend of mine has a 1998 Jetta VR6 that I have done the OC's on. From the owners manual I found that 5w-30 would be ideal for the Montana winters this car sees and it also be fine for the summers.

But...looking on some VW forums and this site, it looks like people are using a 0/5w-40 for the VR's.

It seems to be running fine for the last 5yrs. on Mobil,PP, and most recently Castrol Syntec 5w-30, and I wanted to know the BITOGers ideas on this...

Side note: Friend bought car in 2004 w/14,000mi. and currently has around 52,000mi as of last OC.

Thanks in advance.
19.gif

He still has time to stock up on some Syntec and a K&N oil filter for 28.00 at AZ....thats what i did for my Tacoma.

I had a 95 Passat VR6! If I still have the car now and need to select an over-the-counter oil, I will use Mobil 1 0w40 if it doesn't burn oil.

If it burns oil, I will experiment with Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40, or Rotella 5w40 if you need the 5w for cold weather.

I found a distributor that sells PP 5w-40 European Formula, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to purchase it by the case (havent got a chance to stop by or call). Hoping I cant grab some and use the $15 rebate, I figure this may be a decent price...

Any thoughts on this weight of PP.

Originally Posted By: ZR2grizz

Thanks in advance.
19.gif

Trying to remember. Is the VR6 engine the 15 degree V engine that shares one common head?

Yup.

For an 'older' one of those engine NOT under warranty, I'd use whatever 5W-40 HDEO I could find at a good price - RTS 5W-40 being what comes to mind right away.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back