how are K&N oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just hope the K&N filter doesn't suck because I'm probably going to be putting one on my 2001 4.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee over the next week or two. I'll probably also be buying another one in order to take advantage of the Autozone Castrol Syntec/K&N filter deal. I wonder if I could return the filter & convince them to swap it out for Mobil 1 if I told them it doesn't fit because of the nut. On the other hand, I'm probably putting way too much thought into this.

Last edited:
I've run them on my Mustang and Townie, dad has run them on his Expedition and Townie. They are a fine filter. Use them with confidence.

Originally Posted By: BTC
Well, I just hope the K&N filter doesn't suck because I'm probably going to be putting one on my 2001 4.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee over the next week or two. I'll probably also be buying another one in order to take advantage of the Autozone Castrol Syntec/K&N filter deal. I wonder if I could return the filter & convince them to swap it out for Mobil 1 if I told them it doesn't fit because of the nut. On the other hand, I'm probably putting way too much thought into this.

I should have added that despite the differences in the media, I have used K&N many times myself. I've done a couple UOAs with particle counts, and seen what appear to be no problems. You'd probably get better fine filtration at the end of the day with the M1, but the question is then whether it matters that much.

EDIT: Yes, you are putting too much thought into this, but then again, you belong to this site. . .
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
You'd probably get better fine filtration at the end of the day with the M1, but the question is then whether it matters that much.

I've read some reports mentioning that this finer filtration causes more restricted oil flow and thus higher oil pressures. In some cases, the M1 filters were coming apart - the housing separated from the mounting plate. Any truth to this?

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Inside they're identical to Mobil 1's.
No the element material is different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back