Opinions on Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically for a reasonably high strung Forester XT basically a detuned STI motor.

Had a local guy put in Amsoil 10w30 ATM, seemed ok at first but then the engine got a little rougher as time rolled on.

It did have a turbo issue though, didn't really affect performance just a leaky exhaust side seal. So I burned some oil in 5k miles. Replaced with Mobil 1 EP & Castrol Syntec as needed. maybe 3/4 quart each and both 5w30.

Going to change it myself now and take a sample. I bought Castrol Edge 5w30 but was wondering if Mobil 1 EP 5w30 would be the better thing to get. I also was going to fall back on my beloved GC Ow30 but they didn't have enough.

So who else runs a Subaru in here that has been down this path?

Edit:Turbo was replaced so it burns no oil now.

Last edited:
As long as it meets the specs, it's fine..:)

Mobil 1 will wear the cam lobes down...
smirk2.gif

Joking!

Overpriced.

If I was going to pay that much money I would try Redline.

**Many people with the turbo Subby's have liked running Shell Rotella.

Last edited:
Well it was with Autozone's deal.

5 quarts & a filter for $29.99

Mobil 1 was the same price EP was $34.99

Regular Syntec was only $2 less than Edge.

I'd worry about my cats with Rotella.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I'd worry about my cats with Rotella.

Why? It's API SM rated. If an API SM rated oil kills cats, then we have a big problem on our hands...

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
GC over Edge for a turbo engine.

Otherwise, I would use M1 5w40 tdt or 0w40 under the AZ special.

I am going to exchange it tonight as the store near my work didn't have dic. I may go the Mobil 1 route if they again have no GC.

Originally Posted By: N4cer
Bigger worry is what filter you got with that deal. They usually include a (junk) Fram.

The AutoZone Syntec special includes a K&N filter, but they only stock a few models, for the most common vehicles. They can special-order you one for your car, but that means you'd have to make another trip to pick it up when it comes in.

LOL. K&N oil filters are very good quality. They're made by Champion Labs, just like M1 filters and many others. Personally, I have no issues with them. I think it's the K&N air filters (the ones you oil) that give them a bad rep.

What do you define as superior? Is it filtration ability? If so, that means the Purolator PureONE is pretty much the best filter available. If it's quality construction, then the Mobil 1 and K&N filters are on par with the Wix filters. The Mobil 1 may even filter better.

I can ditto chevrofreak on the K&N oil filters. From what I've seen, they are an absolute top of the line product. I won't use their air filters, though.
Right now I've got enough K&N, M1 and PureONE filters to last the lifetime of my autos/trucks. I can't walk away from a sale. Stocked up on K&N and M1 from German Castrol sales at Pep Boys and AZ, then bought a bushel of PureONEs from Amazon.

Make a trip to Vegas. They have tons of GC here. I haven't bought any more as I'm running out of shelf space in my garage. And I've got a lot of shelves. Who am I kidding? I'm going down the street to get some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back