2005 Mini Cooper S Oil Recommendation. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need someones advice on this:

I have been reading on M1 TDT 5W-40 for petrol engines which specify API SM specifications for high performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets, which I'm strongly considering but Rotella T 5W-40 seems intersting. Is it worth considering putting a diesel oil on my Mini Supercharger?

I'm a stop and go, hi rev backroad driver in a very hot place, so I'm trying to educate myself on what will be best oil for my situation and driving conditions. I'm also strongly considering doing the oil change myself, the mini is the only car I have yet to change my own oil on, but the economy is the perfect do it yourself coach!

My car has 45K, all stock, but always pushed very hard. so I'm not sure if I should actually start considering a 10W-X oil instead? I did a side by side comparison with M1 TDT 5W40 and M1 0W40 and the results are very similar. so I'm really confused at this point. I'm also now running a group IV oil now, but looking to get into an oil that I can by locally in a shop and change every 5K instead of my now standard of 7500K with Motul.

Also considering at PP 5W-40, Castrol 5W40, Mobil recommends 0W40 for my car but do they know I live in South Florida, probably not. BMW recommends ACEA A3/B3 and BMW-LL01, hhmmm.

I'm here to learn from the best in the business of oil!

sorry to go to a separate individual thread but my icebreaker thread seemed to be a controversial topic and what I really needed was finding a solution for my car. I appreciate your input.

No problem. Just didn't want to re-type.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The M1 TDT 5-40 or the Rotella Syn 5-40 would both be good choices.

+1 Pick one of these and be done with it, either will work well.

GC would be awesome.

Here's my take: Mini specifies an ACEA A3/BMW LL-01 oil. Since it's possible for an oil to meet them while also being API SM rated, I can't imagine you'd need a lot of ZDDP.

Besides, even if you did need a lot of ZDDP, Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 wouldn't do much to solve the problem because it also meets API SM:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

It's labeled differently and certified differently because it's formulated differently. That, in turn, is because it's for a very different application.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong sticking to Mini's recommendations IMO. There are a lot of GREAT LL-01 oils you can pick from.

ofcourse they make it at as hard as posible for you to compare they own products but here is what I found. Too bad i can't copy/paste. answers in ()

Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 VS Mobil 1 0W40
SAE Grade 5W40 0W40
Viscosity, ASTM D445 Viscosity, ASTM D445
Viscosity Index (155) (155)
ASTM D 2270
cSt @ 40ºC (100.4) (78.3)
cSt @ 100ºC (14.9) (14)
Phosporous (0.12) (0.1)
HTHS Viscosity,
mPa•s @ 150ºC
ASTM D 4683 (3.9) (3.7)
Sulfated Ash,
wt%, ASTM D 874 (1.0) (1.2)
Total Base #,
mg KOH/g,
ASTM D 2896 (10.7) (11.3)
MRV @ -35º c (25400) MRV @ -40º c (26242)
Flash Point, ºC,
ASTM D 92 (235) (230)
Density @ 15ºC
kg/l,
ASTM D 4052 (0.85) (0.85)

Have an autozone accross the street. When it comes to autoparts: I have come to learn is that each locale tries to accomodate to it's largest target audience, and since my close by autozone main audience does not come accross purchasing GC, they dont carry it. I can look around, there is lots of them in a 25 mile radius.

Originally Posted By: onequi
and since my close by autozone main audience does not come accross purchasing GC, they dont carry it.

You shouldn't be asking/looking for anything called GC. You're looking for Castrol Syntec 0w-30 that says "made in Germany" on the back label. I just wanted to make sure you know. :)

A few years back, the AutoZone in Hialeah (183rd and Red Rd) used to carry it. Also check PepBoys - they recently started carrying it.

I was able to find GC in autozon, right accross the street, they had runned out but re-stocked today. think I might just go with this one as I have read many good things about it in all sorts of forums from vettes to wrx and many more. now some talk about the different bottle, that the new bottle does not have a bolt cap? is there a difference, did it change it any way? I will also browse here now looking but looking like my next bet! thanks again for reconfirming on autozone.

Originally Posted By: onequi
I was able to find GC in autozon, right accross the street, they had runned out but re-stocked today. think I might just go with this one as I have read many good things about it in all sorts of forums from vettes to wrx and many more. now some talk about the different bottle, that the new bottle does not have a bolt cap? is there a difference, did it change it any way? I will also browse here now looking but looking like my next bet! thanks again for reconfirming on autozone.

Does it say "Made in Germany"?

And it should list BMW LL-01 and other euro specs..

I believe GC was updated recently. If there was a change, it seems to have been for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back