Must have tools for the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the normal tools like wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers etc....What do you feel are must have tools for the DIY shade tree mechanic?

Mine are:

Car ramps
Hydralic jack
Jack stands
Battery charger

Please add to my list......

Last edited:
A cheap DVM. (Digital volt meter that has the amps/ohms section along with it)

Torque wrench
Impact sockets
Code reader
Mirror

I found tools to be an evolutionary acquisition. After a while, you know what you need.

1/2" drive ratchet set
Strap Wrench or filter cup
Torque Wrench
[censored] set of veneer calipers for tire depth, brake rotor thickness... etc.
If you ever see a manual impact driver, like a screwdriver you hit with a hammer to pound the bit into the screw and slightly turn it... get it. When you do need it nothing else will work. Brake rotors and any old restoration work will eventually require this tool.

This may sound overkill, but I got my 1/2" drive 400 ft/lb impact wrench for 30 bucks, and metric impact sockets for another 20. If you already have a compressor, this is a really cheap upgrade. I can't imagine doing a brake job without them.

A drill and set of bits.
Tap and die set.

I really miss my cordless electric screwdriver. The switch went bad on it, and seems unfixable. I hate to give up and buy another. If I do, it won't be from somebody owned by Botch like the old one.

I think there is a limit on how many characters a post can contain, so I won't post my list.
wink.gif

IMO you can never have enough tools!

A big sack of kitty litter from the dollar store for all the goof up drips.
whistle.gif

LIGHT is always a handy tool.

Originally Posted By: WGermany
Vintage Marantz 2230 Receiver and pair of Advent Original Loudspeakers.

Wow! For the garage?
My good quality audio stays in the house. You must have a fantastic garage!

Originally Posted By: WGermany
Vintage Marantz 2230 Receiver and pair of Advent Original Loudspeakers.

^^^^^^^^^^RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!
11.gif
10.gif

wow, lots of folks got to this before me. The DVM and torque wrench are my main two critical items, if I had to think of two quickly off the top of my head.

I'd also say that a foam mat or pad for easy rolling under the car is a smart thing. Quality sockets in different sizes (good 1/4 and 3/8 drive at least), with breaker bars, thumb ratchets, and wobble extensions are useful.

I like a ratcheting screwdriver too (stanley makes a good one), because it can get tiring to have to do it the old fashioned way.

One or two nylon measuring cups.
Plastic won't stand up to chemicals and glass might break.

BIG rubber mallet.
two or three various sizes of cresent wrenches.
Steel rule-6".

Originally Posted By: andyd
beer fridge

LOL!
And an army cot for the MIL.

J.K! She's actually pretty cool.

Air compressor & air tools make working on old tractors easy. A cherry picker for the parts that are too heavy for one person. 3 ton jack for the tractors, my kwiklift for the vehicle oil changes and under carriage work. Sandblast cabinet for cleaning parts and parts washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back