FYI- G-05 Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
An FYI-

I have to dig into the cooling system of my Ford truck for a modification and needed to find some G-05 rated coolant for it. Whew! What a job. Nobody carries it in my part of NW Ohio. Finally found some at a Car Quest store and coulda gone a little farther to the Ford dealer. Wouldn't expect to find the Motorcraft stuff anywhere but the Zerex G-05 (which the Ford dealer told me over the phone was Zerex) wasn't available any department stores, AutoZone, Advance Auto. Napa said they could get it but didn't normally stock it. CarQuest said they always keep it in stock. Whenever I asked, the counter guy would try to talk me into a generic "mixes with anything" variety. Haven't done my "due dilligence" research on that yet and given it was a partial drain only on a system that wasn't due for a change, I decided to remain "chaste."

True, hard to find. Best place to find it is the Ford dealer. ~$12.00 a gal. plus tax. At least it's not as whacked as Toyota Coolant for ~$25+ a gallon.

I still find it odd that this varies so much by region. G-05 is very easy to find here in Austin. Pep Boys has Zerex G-05, as does CarQuest. A local chain (A-line) carries both Zerex and Motorcraft G-05, as do all the Ford and Mopar dealers (at dealer prices, I suppose). I've seen it on shelves at NAPA and O'Reilly too.

I wish it would make inroads into the Target/Wallyworld shelves, but brain-dead "all makes all models" formulas seem to rule the shelves there.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
An FYI-

Nobody carries it in my part of NW Ohio. Finally found some at a Car Quest store and coulda gone a little farther to the Ford dealer.

This just proves that a lot of owners are not really putting in the right coolant in their Ford or Dodge vehicle, including the independent mechanics.
The last time I needed some, both the local CarQuest and NAPA stores carried it and at a decent price. $10 for the concentrated gallon jugs.

Last edited:
Yes, the stuff if hard to find- and not particularly cheap at the Ford dealers in my area. Here in Wichita the Ford and John Deere dealers both want $18/gal for concentrate and $12/gal for pre-mix. The cheapest I've been able to find is $14/gal for Zerex G05 from a local "jobber warehouse". Pep Boys used to carry the stuff for $14/gal, but both of them here in Wichita have gone out of business.

Don't know about Mopar dealers. I know that Mopar coolant at least USED to be G05, but I've heard that they've come out with a new coolant. Don't know if that's in addition to G05 or instead of G05.

Originally Posted By: onion

Don't know about Mopar dealers. I know that Mopar coolant at least USED to be G05, but I've heard that they've come out with a new coolant. Don't know if that's in addition to G05 or instead of G05.

That's a new one on me... I'll do a little poking around and see what I can find. I haven't really been following OEM Mopar stuff very closely the last year or so- our newest vehicle is a 2005 and it hasn't needed anything in the way of service yet. I know Mopar G-05 has always been red (as if coolant colors weren't confusing enough) instead of the gold that Ford and Zerex use.

Ashland (Valvoline & Zerex) makes the antifreeze for Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, some of which as a slightly different dye than Zerex G-05. (Don't know if Chrysler has a new AF.)

Each NAPA franchisee can stock whatever they wish that isn't NAPA branded. My local Westbay NAPA is just now stocking G-05 @ $9.95.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I can get G-05 at Napa and Schucks. Although they are changing over to O'Rilieys so I do not know if it is going away.
Went to O'Reilly's a while back and asked for G-05. Guy gave me a quizzcal look like I had no clue what I was talking about. He went to the antifreeze rack and couldn't find any. Why? Because they don't carry it. I could tell the guy didn't believe there was such a product.

Anyway, most of the stuff they got is their own branded all makes 50/50 and concentrate. No G-05.

We just got a new O'Reillys not too far away in the biggest town close by (a whopping 5,500) and I got the "G-05 Blank Look." To his credit, the CarQuest guy knew exactly what it was for... unlike all the other places I called or walked into. I woulda gone to Ford but that's about 25 miles away vs 10. Travel distance is one of the few downsides to boondocks living... though a minor convenience and one easily countered by using one's common sense. You better come heeled for battle if you expect me to move back into the "big city."

That little CarQuest is fast becoming my favored place to shop parts. Bell Auto Supply, Ottawa, Ohio.

I wasn't aware of this until yesterday, but apparently Peak has their own version of G05, called 'Peak Extended Life cf-exl'. Or at least they did for a while- info is hard to find and I suspect that the product may have been discontinued:

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_cfexl.html

Going directly to their site and following links, seems that they now recommend Peak Global Lifetime for G05 applications (although is ISN'T the same thing, as PGL is silicate-free). I've never used the stuff, but I'd certainly be willing to try it before one of the 'all-makes' dex-clones.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that Peak Global Lifetime is hard to find. I saw some today at Walgreens of all places for $14.45 per gallon.

I was on an unsucessful hunt for it yesterday. Checked WM, AAP and Auto Zone, no cigar. Best I could find was some kind of Prestone universal AF, good for all cars. That tells me to pass. No NAPA, Car Quest, or O'Reillys around me. The hunt continues, I have until October to find it, if not I guess I'll have to go to a stealership for it.

I always go to NAPA for G-05. I'm lucky enough to always be relatively close to a NAPA though. The big chains are useless for anything except all makes all models coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back