Recommendations for a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 5.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put some AMSOIL 5W30 in my '05 Corolla (AMSOIL filter too).

Last gas fill was around 31.5 miles per gallon. I typically range around 31 point something to 32 point something.

To my surprise when I filled up I got 35.5 miles per gallon. This really surprise me as I have had the A/C cranked due to 95+ degree weather.

(For what it is worth, I always fill at the same gas station (Chevron), same grade (87), and stop filling at the first time it stops. Also, I have about 57k miles on the car. The past 20k have been Mobile 1 fully synthetic with whatever oil filter (probably Fram) that WalMart gives as default ... with 3 oil changes during.)

If this 35 miles per gallon keeps up is another story ... but I have rarely seen 35 even with a lot of highway.

Back to my Yukon XL ...

I just purchased my Yukon XL (used). It has just under 36K. So needless to say I have no choice but to think ... shoot ... if I get this kind of improvement with my Corolla, I would love to see the same on my Yukon XL that currently gets around 13 miles per gallon. If I can get it up to 14 or 15, I would be happy.

The wife uses the Yukon the most ... picking up kids, groceries. I doubt we will ever tow with the thing. Once a year we usually do a trek up to Vancouver BC from Boise Idaho. Summers here can get 105'ish ... over 95 for a good month or two. Winters as cold as the teens ... maybe 0 ... but norm is probably in the 20's.

I see that AMSOIL offers the 0W30 stuff too. I also hear a lot of buzz for 5W20 ... not sure if this is good for a truck application though ...

Recommendations?

(Thanks in advance!)

A 10% increase in fuel economy on just oil is a little difficult to believe...

Something else is at work here. I'd say the fuel nozzle kicked off too early, and didn't get the car completely full on the last fill up.

If you want to eliminate another variable, start filling up using the same pump (and the same nozzle) every time.

I ran two changes of Amsoil 5w-30 in my 5.3 Silverado and saw little (if any) increase in fuel mileage over an easier to obtain oil such as Pennzoil Platinum.

Like I said ... I kind of doubt the 35 miles per gallon will keep up for all of the variables that folks here mention. It could be my car is in the "honeymoon" phase of new oil ... who knows ... time will tell. First impressions though are real good.

By the sounds of it though 5W30 for my Yukon.

Thanks ...

I'd go with 5w30 in that Yukon, and any name brand dino or synthetic would be just fine. I'd probably run synthetic in the winter to ease cold starts, and good dino (GTX, PYB, etc.) in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back